Select to view content in your preferred language

Questions on preparing data used to create Parcel Fabric.

07-25-2019 04:55 PM
MattBrown2
Occasional Contributor

Sorry if these questions have been asked before.  If there is some documentation that already covers this, let me know.  Anyway, I have read up quite a bit on Parcel Fabrics as implemented under ArcMap but never got around to actually creating one.  Now that ArcGIS Pro has significantly expanded both the scope of how one can work with parcel fabrics along with the "ease" of creating one, I am looking at finally taking the plunge.  That being said, I do have a couple of questions with respecting to preparing our data prior to using it for building the Parcel Fabric.  My main parcel data source will be a polygon feature class provided by the county assessor that contains parcels and right-of-ways as polygons.  My current questions are:

1.)  What should we do with the right-of-way polygons?  Do we leave them in the source parcel polygon FC and let them get imported into the Fabric along with the parcels or should they be removed first and imported via a separate process?  Is best practice to use right-of-way polygons or it is better to use road centerlines instead (which I also have)?

2.)  What do we do about complex and unusual parcel types, such as parcels that reside wholly within the boundaries of another parcel or that are broken up by intersecting parcels? Below is an example of the sorts of parcel geometries that I am having to deal with (right-of-way polygons are shaded in grey):

Anyway, I am sure I will have more questions as I get more into the weeds on this project.  If there is a better place where I should be asking these sorts of questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

0 Kudos
17 Replies
MattBrown2
Occasional Contributor

We have to work within similar constraints.  Might just have to create a separate parcel type to differentiate between "legal" parcels and "actual" parcels.

DianeBaker
Regular Contributor

We draw the lots to legal and parcels drawn to what is assessed.

0 Kudos
DaveMcMillan
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone below is a link to a web mapping application called CATCH Online!

This tool checks CAD data for errors and prepares it to load directly into the parcel fabric. The only thing needed is to set up your CAD files with the proper layer/level names and make sure your lines are individual line segments. The tool does the rest. See the link to the web mapping application and the how-to guide.

http://countyofriverside.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=485352d7b8c143e7b9de92d111678c25

Link to how to use CATCH Online 

Check it out.

Thanks,

Dave McMillan

County Surveyor 

Riverside County, Ca

0 Kudos
MattBrown2
Occasional Contributor

Hey Dave, thanks for the link!  This will be a very useful tool.  It just so happens that my municipality is located in Riverside County (Lake Elsinore).  How has the county's parcel fabric migration gone?  Is it complete or are there still areas that have yet to be migrated?  Once it is complete, will there be a process for local municipalities within Riverside County to download their portion for inclusion in their own self-maintained parcel fabrics?

(Sorry, not meaning to derail my own topic). 

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt Brown‌ 

I think some of the answers above relate to the parcel fabric for ArcMap and not to the new parcel fabric used with ArcGIS Pro.

ROWs - you can leave your ROWs as parcels. In the new parcel fabric all parcels reference to the legal source document record they originated from. In most cases ROWs are described in the subdivision plat and you can model them to be true to the legal record. 

anna garrett‌  is correct to advice cleaning up densified curves to be true curves, but is also true to they way you manage your parcels now. You can use geoprocessing tools to improve the geometry quality and data integrity of your data now, later during migration or after you migrate.

Many counties manage the vacations and dedications as they impact value --> taxation.

Some manage other types of easements that impact land value as well as use the 3d dimension for Condominium apartment units evaluation.

anna garrett Please do not confuse Matt with ArcMap parcel fabric technology

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Frequent Contributor

Amir Bar-Maor‌ why wasn't there more effort made to make sure terminology was the same between arcmap and pro fabrics? 

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

There was and it is apparent there is more needed.

In ArcGIS Pro parcel fabric for ArcMap looks different and has a tooltip that uses the new name.

The new parcel fabric icon is blue.

Yes  - a new name would have solved it but we love the term 'parcel fabric' that we couldn't let go.

We imagine a bit of confusion in the transition period to ArcGIS Pro. Just a couple of months, right?! 

😉

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Frequent Contributor

okay cool, i'm okay as long as there's an effort. i haven't even started to transition over to pro yet since i'm right in the middle of new subdivision season. 

0 Kudos