XY to Line not creating output

Jump to solution
01-12-2015 11:24 AM
MattGotham
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a shapefile of some sanitary pipes from the attached Excel spreadsheet using the 'XY to Line' tool.  The tool says it runs successfully but the elapsed time is 0.00 seconds and there is no output file created.  Please help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm getting two errors: cannot create featureClass because of the 'name contains invalid characters'. I thought it might be the table name and tried to create a featureclass without the starting numbers, but that failed too. The field names look okay to me, but I'm definitely not an expert! Perhaps look for beginning or trailing spaces in the field names?

Melita

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm getting two errors: cannot create featureClass because of the 'name contains invalid characters'. I thought it might be the table name and tried to create a featureclass without the starting numbers, but that failed too. The field names look okay to me, but I'm definitely not an expert! Perhaps look for beginning or trailing spaces in the field names?

Melita

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try renaming the file so that it doesn't begin with a number

0 Kudos
MattGotham
New Contributor

Thanks Melita.  There must have been a problem in one of the field names - I went through and renamed them all and it ran fine.

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

The field name that maybe causing the problem could be the one named shape as I thought shapefiles by default have a field name called shape

0 Kudos