What is the best way to combine data from a geoprocess to the original shapefile?

04-18-2013 02:54 AM
FedericoTallis1
New Contributor
I have a shapefile containing a bunch of routes and another containing parcels. In modelbuilder, I am using a Select Feature Iterator to go through each route and select by location parcels within a quarter mile. This data is dissolved to sum and choose the data  of interest.

I was wondering what would be the best approach to combine the new dissolved data from the parcel shapefile to the original route shapefile?

In previous attempts I created a string associated with the route number and created a seperate shapefile for each iteration, I then combined this, exported the table, and combined it to the route, but I would like to find a better automatic way to do this, any ideas?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III
At what step do you want to modify your original shapefile with the updated information? At each interation step, or when the iterations are all complete? Will the dataset be replaced entirely? Or are you appending to the original with your outputs?
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hello,

If I understand you correctly, you want to combine your parcel data (polygons) with your route data (lines) which cannot be done. If you are just trying to attach the attributes of the parcels to the line data, I would suggest the Spatial Join tool.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
FedericoTallis1
New Contributor
I wanted to execute the dissolve at each iteration, the data dissolved would be appended to the original data.

I tried the spatial join like you mentioned Melanie, but I've ran against two issues:
1. The spatial join overwrites itself at each Iteration
2. Since the parcels dissolved remain as individual pieces, I can't figure out an adequate relationship between the target feature and the join feature. I have tried all the within's, have their centers, share a line segment. I wouldn't be able to use within a distance because there are instances where the routes intersect.

I have appended an image of the data...
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Federico,

To prevent the spatial join output from being overwritten, you will need to use an inline variable in the naming of the output.

Can you please change the symbology of your dissolved parcels to better show which need to be attached to which route?

Thanks,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
FedericoTallis1
New Contributor
Sorry about that. As you can see in the image, I want to populate the table with the information from the LU_density shapefile which comes from the dissolve. All the routes are within the same RouteRidership Shapefile. I dont  see how I would use inline substitution.
0 Kudos