Updating existing objects in table with domains ????

Jump to solution
06-25-2012 01:31 AM
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Hi there

I have some featureclasses with a lot of records/objects in the tables.

Now we have discovered that some of the "attached" domains in the geodatabase was not correctly.....We changed/updated the domains...and if we record a new object all the new things are there, but if we want to "edit" the existing object, the new "rules" is missing???

What do we miss ??

Is there a tool, script or model to do the update automaticly ??

One example:

• We have collected 1000 records/objects for Fire Hydrants with type 1, 2 and 3 valves.

• Later on we discover the power of using Domains for NON GIS people in Field collection, so we want to upgrade the tables.

• We now create a Domain with 8"/10"/12" selectable valves and with a "table related value" connected to the type 1, 2 and 3.

• When we make a NEW record everything functions OK and the user can select 8", 10" or 12".

• When we want to EDIT an existing record, only the old value/function is there, so he has to know what value 1, 2 and 3 means.

Anyone with a solution ???????????????????
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Henrik,

OK that's a bit weird; but this is also ArcGIS 10 I presume because the attribute table looks different.

try some of my earlier suggestions about adding a new field and using Field Calculator to copy over the attributes.    You could even try a couple of fields: one with the domain assigned and another without; the one without should show just coded values and they should all be in the set 2, 3, 4, 998  with no distinction between new and old or there is something corrupted.   Also can you manually edit the "old" records at all: delete, rewrite, select and recalc etc.?  Even try deleting one of the features and then undoing the delete.
Another couple of prods would be to export or copy the feature class within the geodatabase or export to a shapefile and reimport to a feature class.

I've seen domain pulldowns get "sticky" and not activate right away, or stuck when switching subtypes such that I had to go back a few steps, but the records should remain editable.

Maybe you have discovered a real bug/glitch and should contact ESRI for support.

Hardolph

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Henrick,

I'm not sure what you mean by "related table value" (?new terminology for coded value?), but the symptoms you describe would be expected if the coded values in the domain were not = 1, 2, and 3 with the respectively corresponding coded value descriptions 8", 10" and 12" for the valves.   If so you could assign the domain to a new field with the correct field type (e.g. short integer, but could be text) and use field calculator by selecting in turn the records with 1, 2 and 3 in the old field (you could do this recalc on the original field too) and apply the new coded values .

It seems a bit odd that when you edit the persistent old values, that the pull down pick list does not appear so perhaps I have missed something or you are using a version of ArcGIS 10 with some new idiosyncracy.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Yes it was "coded value" i meant 😮
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Henrick,

Are the coded values in the domain equal to the old values (1, 2, 3) used?   The field type should be OK because you cannot assign a domain except to a field of the same type.

As a test export the feature class to a shapefile or table outside the geodatabase and inspect the values in that field. 
That will show them up as just coded values and you should see a difference if the old values are not immediately translating into coded value descriptions in the feature class once the domain is assigned. 

Hardolph
0 Kudos
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
OK...I have tried to make a picture/screendump story about the problem, maybe that will help to understand my problem.
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Henrik,

looks like my followup on your last post disappeared.  In case it pops up from the ether here's most of it again:

I had a look at the screen shots, but there is ambiguity:

The only way to evaluate the domains is to check the editing response in the full attribute table not the attribute editing dialog popup.

Open the full attribute table in an edit session and then check how the old vs new records respond.  There should be no difference unless the old values are truly not in the set of coded values in the domain.

The potential ambiguity with looking at the popup dialog table is that it is based on selection and you could have inadvertently created a new feature class with the old values or even done something in creating a new field with a misleading alias etc. and moved it in the layer display. 

All the records in a field get treated the same; they are not like cells in a spreadsheet where a formula could be applied to only part of a column of cells or the formatting is different.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Hi again.

I "hear" what you say, but i can't find out what to change or where so it will hit through.

Se the screendump....it's like the old one's won't change........just like the domain can't change the old values.
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Henrik,

OK that's a bit weird; but this is also ArcGIS 10 I presume because the attribute table looks different.

try some of my earlier suggestions about adding a new field and using Field Calculator to copy over the attributes.    You could even try a couple of fields: one with the domain assigned and another without; the one without should show just coded values and they should all be in the set 2, 3, 4, 998  with no distinction between new and old or there is something corrupted.   Also can you manually edit the "old" records at all: delete, rewrite, select and recalc etc.?  Even try deleting one of the features and then undoing the delete.
Another couple of prods would be to export or copy the feature class within the geodatabase or export to a shapefile and reimport to a feature class.

I've seen domain pulldowns get "sticky" and not activate right away, or stuck when switching subtypes such that I had to go back a few steps, but the records should remain editable.

Maybe you have discovered a real bug/glitch and should contact ESRI for support.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
aaron2020
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro is having the sticky "coded value"/domain issue as well...fyi

0 Kudos