Spatial join and statistics

Jump to solution
06-19-2013 10:36 AM
JohannaHutter
New Contributor
Hello,

I have  tried several ways but can't find a solution to my problem and would be grateful for help:
I have polygon features (houses). Inside every house I have points which represent the inhabitants. Each of the points has different attributes (e.g. age). What I want to do is assign a value (like average age, which needs to be calculated first from each person's age) to each house.
Since this is supposed to be done for several areas I am using Model Builder, but I cant find any function that helps me solve the problem.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello,

I have  tried several ways but can't find a solution to my problem and would be grateful for help:
I have polygon features (houses). Inside every house I have points which represent the inhabitants. Each of the points has different attributes (e.g. age). What I want to do is assign a value (like average age, which needs to be calculated first from each person's age) to each house.
Since this is supposed to be done for several areas I am using Model Builder, but I cant find any function that helps me solve the problem.

Thank you!

Spatial Join has a Mean option which would average the ages of the points associated with a house if you used the One To One option with Mean as the Merge rule in the field mapping area (right click Age and access its join properties).  You should be able to get a count from the Spatial Join also.  Youmight have to do rounding if you want whole numbers if the age field is a double, but it should be a whole number if the age field is already a long.  Change its type if you want fractions or don't want fractions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello,

Thank you!

Spatial Join has a Mean option which would average the ages of the points associated with a house if you used the One To One option with Mean as the Merge rule in the field mapping area (right click Age and access its join properties).  You should be able to get a count from the Spatial Join also.  Youmight have to do rounding if you want whole numbers if the age field is a double, but it should be a whole number if the age field is already a long.  Change its type if you want fractions or don't want fractions.
0 Kudos