Setting a model to input only 3 values

09-05-2011 02:54 AM
SylviaNiderla
New Contributor
This is probably a basic question but I tried to google it and got a bit confused with iterations and such..I don't think I need those.

I'm creating my first model really, all it needs to do is a bunch of queries and spatial joins. The tutorial model I created though pulled everything from arctoolbox. So how would I do queries and joins using modelbuilder? well, so far I'm using select - as my first query. I have set it to the layer in question but currently its output is a selection for a certain distance (5km). I want it to also select 10km and 5km (not at the same time). So I create my whole model for 5km. Then I want to run it again with 10km. Is there an easier way to doing this then editting the select tool each time?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SylviaNiderla
New Contributor
actually now I'm stuck with joins. I can't seem to join a shapefile to a newly created feature class. I've created the feature class several different ways but there it won't allow it as an input table. I am able to join the feature class to the shapefile, but I need it the other way around.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you trying to join spatially (Spatial Join)? Your newly created feature class is empty - thus there is no feature in it. Then which spatial relationship you want to use? Nothing will come out of the process as one of the inputs (the empty feature class) has no feature geometry yet.

You cannot use an empty feature class to perfom 'Add Join' also because Add Join needs a field's value that's common to the joining feature class's field.

Could you please let me know what you are trying to join to what? That'll help me figure out a solution for your problem. Thanks.
0 Kudos
SylviaNiderla
New Contributor
Hi,

no I was just trying to add a join (i.e join an attribute table to another). I got it working, by going through my model really really carefully. It still has a few issues though. I found a lot of the time a join wouldnt work if I just dragged a layer from my map or used the drop down selection, rather than navigating to it using the folder method.

Also the feature class was created from another layer so it was a selection of that layer. Maybe I used the wrong name for it.
0 Kudos