selecting polygon and nearest neighbor for output

07-21-2014 09:30 AM
DanielErklauer
New Contributor III

I'm attempting to build a model....One of my steps is select a polygon by an attribute name (parcel  #) and select its neighbors by common border and export it to a shape file.  Which tool would I use to do this?

Thank you

10.1 / Basic license

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidJenkins
New Contributor III

Select by Location.

Select the feature polygon first and then choose "Select by Location..." from the Selection menu at the top.

The dialog box should be pretty self-explanatory except that you want to choose "touch the boundary of the source layer feature" in the drop down for the Spatial Selection Method.

Of course this will depend on your geometry being good to get the correct results.

0 Kudos
DanielErklauer
New Contributor III

Thanks David but where is the initial parcel selected for the select by location command to work....Right now I am querying the polygon layer "parcel" for each neighboring lot and exporting it to a shape.  

0 Kudos
DavidJenkins
New Contributor III

Ok, you're actually physically selecting the single parcel and executing the Select By Location on the same layer.

• Select one single polygon in your parcels layer
  • Open the dialog for Select by Location
  • Set both of these to your parcels layer:  Target layer(s): & Source layer:
  • Make sure the Use selected features option is checked (true)
  • Set the method to:  touch the boundary of the source layer feature

I hope this makes sense.  If you still have trouble, a little trick I learned a long time ago was to try the operation in a brand new (empty) mxd.  Just add the single parcels layer and most of the default values will set for you.  Once you understand what is going on, just repeat the same process in your regular mxd.

Good luck!