How would you go about doing this on ArcGis?

Jump to solution
07-21-2014 10:04 PM
VincentHonerkamp
New Contributor

So I'm in an intro to GIS class and this is our assignment, and I would like a bit of direction if anyone can help? Thanks!

Scenario:

Clarke county considers adding a new middle school serving children aged between 11 and 13 who live within 2 miles from the school. Six possible locations are proposed. There are three criteria to be used to make the final decision.

• First, the new school should be at least 0.5 mile away from a state highway.
  • Secondly, the school location must be at least two miles away from existing schools.
  • Thirdly, the best school location serves the most juvenile population within 2 miles of the school location.

I know I have to create a buffer then reclassification, but I'm not 100% sure about the rest. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since I teach, I can only nudge you in the appropriate direction

Select by attributes will allow you to query the cases by age

Select by spatial location allows similar functionality but allows for a distance option

Intersect will allow you to delineate space around your schools and a join by spatial location will allow you to further delineate age cases
There are other options

At this juncture, it would be best for you to experiment and report on successes and/or failures so you can be nudged further to a complete set of answers obtained on your own

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since I teach, I can only nudge you in the appropriate direction

Select by attributes will allow you to query the cases by age

Select by spatial location allows similar functionality but allows for a distance option

Intersect will allow you to delineate space around your schools and a join by spatial location will allow you to further delineate age cases
There are other options

At this juncture, it would be best for you to experiment and report on successes and/or failures so you can be nudged further to a complete set of answers obtained on your own

0 Kudos