select layer by location returns empty results

Jump to solution
01-23-2015 12:20 PM
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

Hi,

What i intend to do is to get all points from Table A that fall within some records of Table B.

- Table A: point geometry. Represents events that occur in certain spots

- Table B: polygon geometry. Represents geographic, non overlapping, areas

- I turn them into feature layers so they can be fed to "select layer by location".

- "Table A layer" is the input feature

- "Table B layer" contains the selecting features

I've checked visually that there indeed exist points in table A that fall within polygons present in Table B, however all i get, when i publish the service, is an empty collection in "results".

Any ideas,

thanks

0 Kudos
42 Replies
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

hi vandana, nope, selection by location didn't work. If i overlap the two layers (Table A and Table B), they display the red dot in the previous post, but selection by location yields no points. thanks

0 Kudos
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David,

Can you provide screenshots of the parameters you set up within the 3 tools in the model? If you've checked the data (as described above) and the coordinates are indeed correct, then the only answer is that one/some of the tools are setup incorrectly (target/source/query/etc).

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

Hi Todd, because i am working with sensitive information i cannot provide more detail about the tables used. Besides that i can say that in the "select layer by location" tool i tried both with "intersect" and "within".

thanks.

0 Kudos
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

Vandana Raghunathan‌, Dan Patterson

i managed to export shapes without the sensitive info, if someone wants to take a look at them and the model's source, please send me an email and i'll send the files.

thanks

0 Kudos
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

I'll take a look if you like. Send away to blanchette.tpr@gmail.com

0 Kudos
davidzornosa
New Contributor III

Vandana Raghunathan‌, Dan Patterson

hi, interestingly if use arcmap's "select by location" on the exported shape files, it works correctly, however if i run the same option directly on the database tables, it doesn't.

I am a complete noob with gis, so maybe the cause is something very simple.

Ifyou still want to take a look at the shape files, please let me know.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

...that is because the select by location tool/menu options requires geometry which a table lacks ... so nothing surprising there

davidzornosa
New Contributor III

i am intrigued... shouldn't the "shape" column of the tables count as geometries?

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

David,

If just the tables are loaded into the model, it is just a table of data, with no geometry, if you load the feature class or the shapefile then the table is connected to the geometry table for the layer loaded.  The geometry is stored in a totally different table. 

0 Kudos
VandanaRaghunathan
New Contributor III

In that case it could be something with the data in that particular database(I assume it is a file geodatabase or personal geodatabase). When you export it to either a new geodatabase or a shapefile, data inconsistencies get fixed. You could run Check Geometry on those database feature classes to see if there are any errors returned.

Thanks,

Vandana

0 Kudos