Recalculate Spatial Index.

06-20-2013 05:21 AM
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I have a Geoprocessing model where a feature class exist. the model calculates some columns based in other columns. Then I calculate X and Y and as a last step I need to recalculate the spatial index of this feature class. I know that exist a tool Add Spatial index but I haven't found one that just update or recalculate my spatial index. Is there one? is there a script for this?

Hope anyone can help!

Best Regards,

Diego Llamas
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JillianPenney
Esri Contributor
Hi Diego,

Are you using an enterprise geodatabase? If so, there is a 'Rebuild Indexes' tool in the Data Management toolbox under Geodatabase Administration.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  I know that exist a tool Add Spatial index but I haven't found one that just update or recalculate my spatial index. Is there one? 

From the help for Add Spatial index:

By default, ArcGIS creates and maintains a spatial index for geodatabase feature classes. For a geodatabase feature class to not have a spatial index, you must explicitly remove it using the Remove_Spatial_Index tool

If you find it didn't automatically update, you can run both tools to remove and then add the spatial index.
0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor
From the help for Add Spatial index:

If you find it didn't automatically update, you can run both tools to remove and then add the spatial index.

Thanks for your help. I thought in deleting and adding again the spatial index but it seems that doesn't work if my feature class that is on a Geodatabase (SQL EXPRESS) is versioned.  I looked for rebuild indexes but could not find it in ArcGIS Advance 10.0, is this just for 10.1? If my feature class is versioned, would be impossible to update my feature class automatic using a geoprocessing model?

Thanks for your help!

Diego Llamas
0 Kudos