rebuild indexes

07-14-2014 04:32 AM
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III

Hi

I have oracle tables with sdo_geometry data type for shape columns and registered with geodatabase.

I am not able to rebuild indexes from ArcGIS catalog or by using Geoprocessing tools.

When i see feature class properties, rebuild indexes button is not available.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you provide some more information regarding this issue:

1. What is the error (if any) you receive when running the GP tool?
  2. Do any locks exist on the data?
  3. Are you currently logged in as the data owner?
  4. Have you tried rebuilding the indexes from Oracle?

CREATE INDEX cola_spatial_idx

ON cola_markets(shape)

INDEXTYPE IS MDSYS.SPATIAL_INDEX;

Ulises
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have a similar issue...

Mine is an Oracle database with several datasets and a stand-alone feature class.  In ArcCatalog, connecting with the data owner, I see the Rebuild button in the indexes tab for the feature classes in the datasets.  The fc is not versioned and in ST_Geometry type.  No problem here, I can see the index date updated in the Oracle tables.

The stand-alone fc is not versioned and was stored using ESRI LOB type;  in this case the Rebuild button is not shown in the Indexes tab in the properties window.  Wondering why...???

Also, I ended using the Rebuild button in AC because I tried to use the python window to run the arcpy.rebuildindexes_management command but I kept getting errors about not having administrative privileges?!?!  Did not find any restrictions in the documentation about using the command window so I'm not sure why I can rebuild using AC but not using the command.

Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III

Hi

I have connected as data owner from Arc catalog. GP tool is not responding for long time without any error. Also there is no rebuild button in feature class properties. This happens to the tables with SDO_GEOMETRY, created by using Oracle SQL and registered with SDE geodatabase. But I am able to build indexes for these tables from Oracle SQL.

I am able to rebuild indexes from Arc Catalog and GP tool if the feature classes are created by using Arc Catalog.

0 Kudos
Ulises
by
Occasional Contributor III

In my case the feature class that do not show the button was created using python scripts and sde commands to generate a spatial view initially and afterwards exported to the mentioned fc.  Can someone confirm if this is the expected behaviour?

Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos
DonOpgenorth
Esri Contributor

I've moved your post into the  Geoprocessing space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. I have also added in a few additional tags. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Don

0 Kudos