Raster to Polygon error 999999 - but still produces a shapefile!

Jump to solution
06-27-2012 10:43 AM
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Occasional Contributor II
When I run the Raster to Polygon tool, I get the following error:

Error 999999: Error executing function.
Cannot create feature dataset.
Failed to execute (RasterToPolygon).

The strange thing is, an output is still generated - and as far as I can tell, it seems perfectly fine; but since I'm doing this in a model, an error causes the model to abort, so I need to be able to resolve this.  I tried disabling the Simplify Polygons option; I tried changing the value field (even though the only other value is "count" and that wouldn't give me correct results); I tried simplifying the filepath to exclude spaces and symbols; I even tried writing to a gdb instead of creating a shapefile.  The outcome is the same every time.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Brett

I cannot repro the problem with the dataset you attached. Please contact Esri Support.

BTW, the image that you attached is a 3 band image and RasterToPolygon only uses the 1st band.

Sorry
Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
What is the size (on disk) of the:
*.shp and *.dbf files?

If these sizes are not close to 2.1GB, then it might be related to NIM078850 which we're currently looking into.

Steve
0 Kudos
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Oops, forgot to mention that earlier - the .shp files are coming out at around 320mb and the .dbf's are around 50mb.  Likewise the rasters aren't very large; only about 10mb.

EDIT: For kicks I tried performing the task on another raster and it was successful, so there's something about this particular group of rasters that's causing the issue.  I'm going to clip out a small chunk of one of them to get the file size down and upload it here, maybe that will help.
0 Kudos
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Here's a small portion of the raster I'm working with.
0 Kudos
SrinidhiBalasubramanian
New Contributor
Hi,

I got this error when the output files were larger than 2 GB. I had an output but on reading the attribute table, I noticed that I had not recieved the complete information from my original raster.

When I run the Raster to Polygon tool, I get the following error:

Error 999999: Error executing function.
Cannot create feature dataset.
Failed to execute (RasterToPolygon).

The strange thing is, an output is still generated - and as far as I can tell, it seems perfectly fine; but since I'm doing this in a model, an error causes the model to abort, so I need to be able to resolve this.  I tried disabling the Simplify Polygons option; I tried changing the value field (even though the only other value is "count" and that wouldn't give me correct results); I tried simplifying the filepath to exclude spaces and symbols; I even tried writing to a gdb instead of creating a shapefile.  The outcome is the same every time.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
The attribute table that I'm getting is complete, so I'm fairly certain that's not the issue.  To be sure, I tried the tool on a much smaller file (from the same source) and it still returned the error.

Honestly, if I can't resolve the error it'd be fine if I could tell Arc to keep running the batch tool even when an error pops up.  I haven't worked with Python in a while - could I write a script to do this?
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Brett

I cannot repro the problem with the dataset you attached. Please contact Esri Support.

BTW, the image that you attached is a 3 band image and RasterToPolygon only uses the 1st band.

Sorry
Steve
0 Kudos
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Thanks for trying - that's interesting.  I tried it on two different machines and got the same error; I wonder what it is on our end that's causing it.

Nevertheless I was able to use the try function in Python to batch the process.

EDIT: Ahh, when you said it only takes the first band, I tried selecting out only one band and it worked.  It should have been obvious that it would only work on one band, but now I know.  Thanks!
0 Kudos