Point specified distance from other point

Jump to solution
07-23-2014 12:08 PM
RobertHogwood
New Contributor II

I am trying to place access points around the perimeter of parks on an OS map I downloaded, but given the large nature of the study area and limited knowledge of actual points of access, I am creating these at an average distance. For this reason, I want to find a way to place points a specific distance from the previous points (say 100m). I found tools such as intersection and direction-distance but these don't quite perform the more simplistic task I'm trying to accomplish.

The only thing I can think of trying is creating a buffer around each point and using the snapping tools to place new points, but this seems far too time consuming given the number of points involved.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Robert,

if make sure you have snapping turned on, then use the construction tools to drop your first point where you want it. Then switch your construction tool to point at end of line. Snap to your first point the press control L this will allow you to type in a distance. Click on the map where you want your next point then press f2 (or just double click to finish line). Your point will be placed at the distance you set. Then just keep repeating with the point at end of line tool.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Without a picture of what you mean, the only thing that I can think of is the near tool but I somehow think that is not what you mean

0 Kudos
RobertHogwood
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help, I have attached an image to clarify.

Point.png

I wish for new points to be constrained to a 100m distance from the previous point created. This way, every new point I place can be a precise distance from the last. Hope this helps.

AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Robert,

if make sure you have snapping turned on, then use the construction tools to drop your first point where you want it. Then switch your construction tool to point at end of line. Snap to your first point the press control L this will allow you to type in a distance. Click on the map where you want your next point then press f2 (or just double click to finish line). Your point will be placed at the distance you set. Then just keep repeating with the point at end of line tool.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
RobertHogwood
New Contributor II

Perfect, exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Robert,

Glad I could help. To help other users search please don't forget to add tags on your original question.

regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
DonOpgenorth
Esri Contributor

I've moved your post into the Geoprocessing space.  I have also added in a few additional tags.
You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each
space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Don

0 Kudos