ModelB: Variable Expression Lists

10-11-2011 12:37 PM
NDC
by
New Contributor III
Afternoon all,

Having an issue trying to clean up a model.  Instead of having the multiple select by attribute and calculate field boxes, I'd like to simplify it down.

I tried setting each of those commands to a variable by expression>lists but when I enter the calculator there are no attributes listed. 

If I run it without the expression bubble it runs fine but it is large and clunky.  (I've only included a piece of the model).

I understand the variable by expression and then set up as a list should work for me but there are no attributes to select from both in the field through the SQL builder (through the expression bubble) or when I double click on each command and the table comes up.  Does anyone have any advice?

**EDIT: Disregard the precondition connections.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NDC
by
New Contributor III
*bump*

Took a few days away from this model and came back.  Still not sure why I am unable to batch the select by attributes and field calculations.
0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi,
I understand you are working on ArcGIS 9.3.1 with a model that does a selection based on a location and then multiple selections based on multiple sql expressions.

Can you please explain a bit more about what is the problem with the model?

Do you want to run the model from its dialog as a batch process? If yes, you need to create model parameters from your tools so that they show up on the tool dialog.

If you are using 10, try the new iterators

Read about Lists at 9.3.1
0 Kudos
NDC
by
New Contributor III
Shitij,

I have my parameter set as the output from the Select by Location.

Then I am running Calculate_Field and making a variable by expression. This is then set to List. 

The issue is when I enter the batch menu to input the rows, the SQL calculator is blank.  There are no attribute fields to call anything against.

Nick
0 Kudos
NDC
by
New Contributor III
Not sure of the issue still.  I have set my initial output as my parameter and I am still working with nothing.  The batch menu is blank, the expression by list bubble cannot be populated; all I can do is add blank rows to the list bubble, which cannot be populated.

I am working with Arc 9.3.1 and an SDE .gdb.

The process is supposed to operate as

Inputs: Drain and Basin>Select by Location>Output1

Output1 is then called against so I can find all the fields with <Null> populations.  These fields are then populated in my Calculate Field tool.  I have this working when each attribute field is calculated and selected individually but once I try to batch these operations the batch mode fields cannot be calculated and the expression by list bubble is also remaining blank and I cannot populated via the SQL calculator.

I have experimented and set each of the variables and outputs as parameters to see if there was something anywhere and I haven't found it. 

Greatly appreciate input into simplifying this and whatever oversight I am missing.
0 Kudos