Model Builder idea... for giving generic location attributes to features

10-16-2013 05:49 AM
DavidAinley1
New Contributor
I have a zillion point/ line/ polygon features in a GDB with a domain which allows me to select a town name which the feature is in...  I also have a town polygon layer with town names in it...

I want to automate this so that I can get every feature to have the correct town name attribute without having to make sure to get it right when i make the feature.... (also so I can get all the ones that got missed when data was created...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have a zillion point/ line/ polygon features in a GDB with a domain which allows me to select a town name which the feature is in...  I also have a town polygon layer with town names in it...

I want to automate this so that I can get every feature to have the correct town name attribute without having to make sure to get it right when i make the feature.... (also so I can get all the ones that got missed when data was created...

Spatial Join and then a normal join can do it.  You might need to extract the centroids of lines and polygons, since if they touch the town boundaries they can pick up two or more towns.  Anyway, it processes entire feature classes with only a few geoprocessing steps.
0 Kudos