Model Builder does not Always Save edits 10.1

08-22-2013 03:35 AM
AlisonSchilling
New Contributor III
We are creating several models that will need to be run by many different people. We have made these as simple as we can and placed many parameters within the model defaulting to a workspace.

We are having a problem saving our models in 10.1 and the models KEEPING the saved changes. We have tried recreating the model in a new tool box and eventually one of our edits will not save. I have searched for others having this issue and have found the older forum below, but that was never answered.

Is anyone having this issue now, with 10.1?

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1728&t=268572

Subject Re: Error in saving a developed modelbuilder. 
Author Richard Brodeur 
Date Nov 20, 2008 
Message I would like to add myself to this list. I don't know if this is related or not because I have not had any error messages but certain edits I've made to models since migrating to 9.3 have been lost after a save. I can reopen the model after a save and see the changes but at some unknown point, the models revert back to their pre-save state.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
We are creating several models that will need to be run by many different people. We have made these as simple as we can and placed many parameters within the model defaulting to a workspace.

We are having a problem saving our models in 10.1 and the models KEEPING the saved changes. We have tried recreating the model in a new tool box and eventually one of our edits will not save. I have searched for others having this issue and have found the older forum below, but that was never answered.

Is anyone having this issue now, with 10.1?

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1728&t=268572

Subject Re: Error in saving a developed modelbuilder. 
Author Richard Brodeur 
Date Nov 20, 2008 
Message I would like to add myself to this list. I don't know if this is related or not because I have not had any error messages but certain edits I've made to models since migrating to 9.3 have been lost after a save. I can reopen the model after a save and see the changes but at some unknown point, the models revert back to their pre-save state.

yes i have had these problems. It seems unable to give up/change certain information. As a work-around I will remove a tool, save the changes, then add the tool back in and set the new parameters.
0 Kudos
AlisonSchilling
New Contributor III
We have done that also, however some of our tools have extensive settings, our reclassify tool at times has several settings that take a long time to edit.

We have also created a new toolbox and copied the model into that and created some of our smaller models from scratch in new toolbox & new tool. But only some of the smaller ones. It is a frustrating massive waste of time especially with the inconsistent nature of the problem.
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Maybe someone from ESRI will see this thread
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
I have not tried this but edit in ArcCatalog and see how it goes
0 Kudos
AlisonSchilling
New Contributor III
We do edit in ArcCatalog - I think we have figured out that if you are in ArcMap with the arcCatalog option open - then you need to close that out and edit in ArcCatalog - but it is not consistent.
0 Kudos
CaraJoos1
New Contributor

I have this problem as well and it is very frustrating. I am working with complex equations in model building and it take quite a while to get them correct. To have changes not save costs me a great deal of time. Something that should take 1 min takes an hour sometimes depending on what was changed. 

Why has ESRI not chimed in on this thread? Is there something we can do to get their attention? I do not make changes in ArcCatalog or have it open so I don't think that is causing the problem. 

It seems like "maybe" a certain state is remembered and changes are not saved beyond that step. In some cases it is just a couple differences. In other cases it goes back to a version from a year ago. I will try to cut and past the existing model into at new window and save it as a new tool and see if that fixes the problem.

This does not seem to be widespread since it was hard to find the problem in other forums. I wonder what it is. 

0 Kudos