"locate feature along routes" tool stops working for routes longer than 215 km

10-19-2016 04:07 AM
YuanGu
by
New Contributor

Hello. I'm trying to identify roads along routes in the country road network of Cote d Ivoire. The "locate feature along routes" tool works perfectly well for routes shorter than 215 kilometres. However once the routes gets longer than 215 kilometres, the tool only produce an empty event table without error message. 

I have tried several ways to pin down the problem. 

a, The first suspicion is that too many routes have been put into calculation at the same time. But it is not the case. Even though only one route is chosen, the tool gives empty table as long as the route is longer than 215 km.

b, A second thought is that too many inputs rows have been put into calculation. It is not the reason either. I changed input from polylines to polygons which represent administrative district. The chosen route should have only penetrated a few districts. There is still no result produced.

To illustrate the problem, some screenshot are pasted below:

"Locate feature along routes" tool works well for shorter routes. It can be observed that the maximum route length never exceeds 215 km after several tries.

If one long route is chosen:

No result will be produced in the output event table.

I am trapped here for a few days and couldn't find solutions from ArcGIS website or posts in the forum. It seems that no one has a similar problem of length limit in routes. I'm using ArcMap 10.4.1 with 8G roaming. Any tip is most welcomed. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
YuanGu
by
New Contributor

I have found a way to bypass this problem. The M-value maximum limit exists for my Network Analyst Extension in ArcGIS, which I haven't figure out how to change. But I managed to change the M-value maximum limit within Linear Referencing Toolbox and use "create routes" tool to manually generate M-value for the routes that I need.

For future users who might have similar problems, these are the steps that I took:

1, perform "find closest facility" in Network Analysis as usual, ignore the warning message of not having M-value

2, export the route feature class and save a copy

3, import the route copy, add one field "FromM" and assign value 0 to all cells.

4, use "create routes" tool, change some settings: 

-choose "Two_Fields" in Measure Source

-choose "FromM" as From-Measure, which is all 0. ArcGIS automatically consider the starting point of the route as        the starting point for M-value.

-choose "Total_Length" as To-Measure. It assigns the total length of the route as the M-value for the ending point of       the route.

-click to change Environmental  -Geodatabase Advanced - Output M Domain - As specified below.

-OK and generate routes with M-value

By now the new routes with all M-value present should be generated and you can proceed to the next step of analysis.

ps, my idea comes from the post by Jorg Mohring   Odd issue with Linear Referencing Tool "Locate Features Along Routes"  It seems that that last reply from Jay Sandhu managed to change the setting for Network Analyst extension directly. It doesn't make changes in my computer. But if it works, it should be the simplest way to solve this problem. 

0 Kudos