Measure distance between points in order of time/date in ArcPro

11-15-2019 10:36 AM
JessicaShapiro
New Contributor

I have points representing movements of animals with a Date Year Julian field. I'd like to measure the distance between each point based on the order of the date so I know how far an animal has moved without manually using the measuring tool. I will be needing to measure the distance between a few hundred points at a time .I would like to do this in ArcPro and comfortable with the Model builder.  Any suggestions of how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A sample of the data would help.

In any event, if you have a field in a table that will permit date sorting or can be converted to sorted order, then determining the sequential point differences is fairly simple in planar coordinates but doable if coordinates are in decimal degrees.  Permanently sorting records can be accomplished using

Sort—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

general discussion is here

Sort records in a table—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

If you lack an appropriate field for sorting, then a minimum spanning tree can be useful to connect movements which are purposeful... they will fail for wandering aimlessly situations where paths may be close together and/or cross

0 Kudos
JessicaShapiro
New Contributor

How do I determine the sequential point differences in my data? I tried running this code in the field calculator but all distance values came back 0. I have the following fields in my table: ObjectID, Shape, DateYearAndJulian, Latitude,Longitude, Distance. 

0 Kudos
JessicaShapiro
New Contributor

I was using the wrong data type for my distance field. Never mind. 

0 Kudos