Map routes with start/end coordinates over time

12-11-2012 07:19 AM
SebastianSteffen
New Contributor
Hi,
I want to map Taxi Cab Movement over the course of some time period in New York City. For a given cab I have Longitude, Lattitude and the date of each passenger-pickup and passenger drop-off, i.e.
Cab A     Start_Lat: 40.6925, Start_Lon: 74.1686 Start_Time: 12/11/12 11:40:23 End_Lat: ... End_Lon: ... End_Time:...
Cab A     (second trip)
Cab B    ...

1.) How would I do this (I am a complete beginner with GIS Desktop unfortunately)? If drawing different sections of the entire (discontinuous) path of a cab is too difficult, then just mapping the entire time period at once would be fine too (i.e. no time series)
2.) Since I have a lot of data, I doubt that I can map all cabs (there are about 40,000) over the whole time-period (1 year), since there are about 180 million data points. I was thinking about mapping movement for just 1 day. What are Arc GIS Desktop's Limitations?
3.) How can I get a New York City Map, which includes GPS data?
4.) What would be a good visualization? Since 90% of all cab rides start in New York, using different colors for different densities seems to make more sense than using differently thick lines.

Thank you very much for any help!

Best,

Sebastian Steffen '13
Princeton University
Economics Department
0 Kudos
0 Replies