Linear Referencing Overlay Route Events Errors

06-23-2011 08:49 AM
IanKidner1
New Contributor III
I am attempting to use the Overlay Route Events tool to intersect two tables based on a LRS system.  I want to add the attributes from the one table to the other.  Both of these tables have the same geometry, as they are founded on the same base LRS, though the log point breaks (and thus the line geometry segments) are at difference locations. 

Each table has valid route identifier fields, and valid beginning and ending logpoint, or in other words, each table contains no overlapping segments within itself.

The Overlay Route Events tool, using intersect, produces duplicate records.  For instance, if table A had a route R1 with two records for miles 0-2, 2-4, and table B had route R1 with two records for miles 0.5, 0.5-4, the resulting table shows breaks at the expected places, HOWEVER, there are duplicates at each break, as well as an additional record at the break point.  So, this example results in:

0-0.5 (2 records)
0.5-0.5 (1 record)
0.5-2 (2 records)
2-2 (1 record)
2-4 (2 records)

This should not be the case.  It should result in:

0-0.5
0.5-2
2-4

One record each. 

I have run the operation several times, and have received these results each time. 

Any thoughts as to why this tool is producing these results?  In the meantime, back to GeoMedia products.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
There is an option on the tool "Keep zero length line events (optional)" which needs to be unchecked. You may not have seen this because the dialog is so large you have to scroll down to see these extra options.

I cannot see any application where I would want these kept, perhaps it should have been off by default.