Layer creation and updating

08-24-2011 03:07 PM
BradShore1
New Contributor
I'm having a hard time figuring out a way to display multiple layers from an attribute table efficiantly and in a manor to be easily updated.  I have a layer that I have geocoded from a SQL table that has 12,686 records. In that layer, there is an Field called "Type" that has 40 possible entries. I want to be able to see each "Type" individually. From each "Type", I want to display another field called "Specialty".  There are 140 different "Specialty" entries that can fall under each "Type". I want to group the "Specialty" under each "Type" so the end user will be able to turn on/off each "Type" and "Specialty" individually in ArcReader.

I am thinking of something like this for the end user to select whats on/off in the TOC.                   
                           +Type
                                  +Specialty                                                                  

+Type
                                  +Specialty

The Sql table is updated on a daily basis but I only need to be able to update the layers on a monthly basis. I know I need to run queries to get attributes selected and displayed, but I have a feeling it's going to be well over 500 different queries. I guess my question is, how should I create each layer in a way that when it comes time to update, I don't need to make each query again?
0 Kudos
0 Replies