kmz to layer failure

11-08-2012 11:17 AM
johanjohansson
New Contributor
Hi!

I'm trying to import a kmz file to arcmap, I can see this file in google earth as a seeflormap that is placed over the lake it is associated with. When I try to convert it in arcgis 10.0 with the kmz to layer tool I get the 00401 error (no features found for processing) and when i try online http://www.zonums.com/online/kml2shp.php it says the the file holds no data..

The file holds data(138kb), I would not be able to see it in google earth and arcglobe if not.

The thing is that i like to open this file with arcgis 9.3 at work but this seems difficult. I have tried all different geoprocessing tools for this.

Anyone that can help?

A friend of my managed to open the file with arcgis 10.1 with the kmz to layer tool today, how is that possible?

Best
Johan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
We added a lot more support into the KML to Layer tool in 10.0 service packs, and ultimately the best experience with it in the 10.1 release.
It sounds like your KML may have groundoverlays (rasters) inside of it?
That wasn't something the tool initially supported - only the latest version of it supported this.

I can only suggest to have a friend with a new version export and down-save the GDB for you, or there might be 3rd party tools compatible with 9.3 that will translate it.
0 Kudos
johanjohansson
New Contributor
Hi!

I think the KLM has groundoverlays (rasters) inside of it, it refers to .bmp (image) file.

Only the latest version supported groundoverlays, does this mean that there is no way of importing the file directly to arcgis 10.0 and 9.3? If there is any tool or script that can do this please let me know!

Best
Johan
0 Kudos