Join Field in Model Builder Only Runs once

Jump to solution
05-14-2014 05:54 AM
MarkYoung
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I have a model which works fine. However if I try and run the model again it fails at the Add Join task saying the table is already joined. If I try and add a 'Remove Join' step it asks me to specify the join to remove but there is nothing in the drop down menu.
Any ideas most appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33816[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
First of all every time you Add a Join in a model you have to also perform the Remove a Join after your model no longer needs it before the first time you run the model.  They should always go into models as a pair. 

However, since you already ran the model without doing that and then tried to rerun it in the same session the join has not been removed from memory.  You may have to shutdown ArcMap to clear the join from memory and then validate the model again after reopening ArcMap to have it update.  Then make sure you add the Remove Join tool before you run the model again. 

If any of the model inputs came directly from layers or tables stored in the ArcMap Table of Contents make sure those items did not store the join inside the map.  If a join exists on those items, break the join in ArcMap.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
First of all every time you Add a Join in a model you have to also perform the Remove a Join after your model no longer needs it before the first time you run the model.  They should always go into models as a pair. 

However, since you already ran the model without doing that and then tried to rerun it in the same session the join has not been removed from memory.  You may have to shutdown ArcMap to clear the join from memory and then validate the model again after reopening ArcMap to have it update.  Then make sure you add the Remove Join tool before you run the model again. 

If any of the model inputs came directly from layers or tables stored in the ArcMap Table of Contents make sure those items did not store the join inside the map.  If a join exists on those items, break the join in ArcMap.
0 Kudos
MarkYoung
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
Thanks for your post - I added a remove join to the model and it now runs multiple times. Wasn't sure where to put the remove join but I found another old post on the same issue with a diagram

Mark

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/22985-Joins-do-not-work-in-Modelbuilder-10

0 Kudos