How to split GPS data points into different road function class (eg. Interstate, arterial etc.,)

Jump to solution
09-15-2014 11:26 AM
rohitj
by
New Contributor II

So we have a lot of gps data points for a test vehicle which needs to be analyzed. My attribute table has a lot of columns like vehicle speed, acceleration etc., I have added XY dataset and all the points are visible and I can represent each of attributes in color codes over a base map. Is there any way to split the data points like when the vehicle was in Interstate, arterial, etc., so that I can do some statistical analysis on that split data.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

with a spatial join, attributes are not used, but the geometry is used.  In essence, you can find the highway closest to a given point by spatially joining the polyline to the point

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can produce separate shapefiles using the SplitLayerByAttributes toolbox if you have data in a field that will allow for separation according to some class.

rohitj
by
New Contributor II

Hey Dan Patterson,

Thanks for the reply, The problem is I am not having the road function class as an attribute in the shape file. Is there a way to add that attribute automatically to the present shape file. Because It cant be done manually as its a big data file with almost 30000 points.

I have collected Road class map from the state department of transportation website. But I can use that as a overlay in a separate layer and it doesn't have any attributes. forum 1.PNG

I am inserting the image for your reference. The road functional class now displays the different class of roads in different colors. I want to add this attribute to my shape file and split it accordingly. Is there a way to do it. Please help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am assuming that you have ruled out Joins and Relates or more specifically, the Spatial Join for some reason? or am I wrong?

0 Kudos
rohitj
by
New Contributor II

hey,

I have tried that. But the thing is the road classification layer is not having any attribute table to match it to my current shape file. Is there any other way?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

with a spatial join, attributes are not used, but the geometry is used.  In essence, you can find the highway closest to a given point by spatially joining the polyline to the point

rohitj
by
New Contributor II

Hey,

I have tried it, Its taking a very long time. Maybe because both the datasets are big. Thank you for the help. Hope It works...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So do I...I failed to mention, that it is good practice to test procedures on small sets of data to see if they yield the correct results and to assess the time taken to run the procedure given a certain sample size... mea culpa

rohitj
by
New Contributor II

Hey,

Thanks a lot... It Worked!!!!

0 Kudos
rohitj
by
New Contributor II

hey,

I am getting this error message when m trying to execute

this tool does not exist.

Failed to execute (SplitLayerByAttributes)

0 Kudos