how to get LAS File properties and statistics for a single .las file

Jump to solution
05-22-2015 11:55 AM
TedRakel
New Contributor III

Is there a way programatically to get the statistics that are shown on the "LAS Dataset Properties" UI in arc catalog for an individual .las file?  Here's a few screen shots of the statistics that I'm trying to get.  From the "LAS Dataset Properties" UI, I can click on the ellipsis button in the "Statistics" column for the file Tile000045.las and that brings up a new UI titled "LAS File Properties and Statistics" shown below.  It's the statistics for a single individual file that I am interested in, not the statistics for the entire dataset.  There are GP tools to calculate the statistics for the entire dataset and they seem to work fine.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The LAS Dataset Statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop tool has a parameter "summary_level" (default is DATASET) . You can change it to "LAS_FILES" which will generate the summarize statistics for the LAS files referenced by the LAS dataset.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TedRakel
New Contributor III

I just found the ILasFile.GetStatistics and GetHeaderInfo arc objects interfaces (ArcObjects Help for .NET developers) which together seem to produce the information shown in the screen shots above.  I guess I could use those, but I was wondering if there's a GP tool or some way in python to get the same information.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The LAS Dataset Statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop tool has a parameter "summary_level" (default is DATASET) . You can change it to "LAS_FILES" which will generate the summarize statistics for the LAS files referenced by the LAS dataset.

0 Kudos
ClaytonCrawford
Esri Contributor

There is also a LasReport command line utility available from the 3D Resource Center that can create a text file of information per LAS file.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=23e3e1afc82d4016b5da0f8f9d9935a8