GIS project

06-18-2013 11:21 AM
CameronBentley
New Contributor
I am in charge of a GIS project for an internship I am doing this summer. I have taken a few GIS classes but by no means am I an expert, and no one in the office knows much about GIS. I have to map the locations of their projects, most of which have been in Colorado. I have the specific addresses for most of the projects as well as the counties. What would be the best way to go about this? I have added the USA state boundaries and the USA counties layers, but I am having difficulty joining the excel sheet with the information about the projects to the county layer. Using the specific address would be a better representation of the projects, but I don't know how to do that from scratch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
You need to geocode your addresses. You can download some Address Locators from the Esri Data and Maps package located in your customer care portal (http://customers.esri.com). There are several resources that explain the basics of geocoding. You could start with the tutorials, too.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I am in charge of a GIS project for an internship I am doing this summer. I have taken a few GIS classes but by no means am I an expert, and no one in the office knows much about GIS. I have to map the locations of their projects, most of which have been in Colorado. I have the specific addresses for most of the projects as well as the counties. What would be the best way to go about this? I have added the USA state boundaries and the USA counties layers, but I am having difficulty joining the excel sheet with the information about the projects to the county layer. Using the specific address would be a better representation of the projects, but I don't know how to do that from scratch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

See this thread I recently responded to.  You need to get some data to geocode against; in the other thread the guy only has zip codes.  You've got addresses. You should be able to find good street data to match against in Colorado. There are a ton of good people doing tons more good work there.  I just googled 'gis data colorado download' and hit the jackpot...

[Looks like Lucas beat me to it; two for two though... Geocoding is what you want to do...]
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CameronBentley
New Contributor
Thank You Lucas and Joe! I guess my first step is to find the street data and then geocode my table against that.

Thanks
0 Kudos