Failed to create raster dataset

07-19-2013 01:35 PM
CharlesCatson
New Contributor
Using ArcMap 10.1 in XPsp3. I can't rectify a georeferenced image. The procedure returns the erorr: "Failed to save raster dataset". Occurs when trying to generate a .tif or any of the compressed formats.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Charles,

Is this occurring for any raster dataset you try to rectify, or is it just one in particular?

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?
0 Kudos
CharlesCatson
New Contributor
Hi Charles,

Is this occurring for any raster dataset you try to rectify, or is it just one in particular?

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

Yes, to both question. SP1 installed, and it happens to all datasets
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Are you trying to save the raster dataset to a local or network drive?  If the latter, try saving the raster dataset to a local drive you know you have write permissions to.
0 Kudos
CharlesCatson
New Contributor
Are you trying to save the raster dataset to a local or network drive?  If the latter, try saving the raster dataset to a local drive you know you have write permissions to.

Yes, a local drive.
0 Kudos
ShikoNjuno
Occasional Contributor
Using ArcMap 10.1 in XPsp3. I can't rectify a georeferenced image. The procedure returns the erorr: "Failed to save raster dataset". Occurs when trying to generate a .tif or any of the compressed formats.

Whenever this has happens to me it's either because the name is invalid, i.e. either it has more than 13 characters or the extension name is spelled wrong like .tiff instead of .tif.
Another reason was that my Map file had too many files saved to it and there was too much going on internally within that map (even if layers are turned off)! Try creating a whole new map with just what you need and see what happens.
Also,depending on your application, the raster cell size may be too small. I'm not sure what you have it set at right now but try going larger and see if that works.
MatthewMadewell
New Contributor

Almost 8 years later and this reply saved me! ArcGIS Pro does not auto-fill in the raster file type for the Change Detection Wizard so I needed to add the .tif suffix

0 Kudos
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks @ Shiko!

All my raster datasets start with a year as in 1990xxxx. You mentinoned "...name is invalid...." and that was it, renaming into b1990xxxx solved my problem.
EarlKlug
New Contributor II

Yes this is the best solution of using the letters in front of any number.  I had the same issue and found this discussion.  Recommend posting fix on 10.1 and previous versions boards.  Thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
ChristopherAllen1
New Contributor

Thanks so much for figuring out the name issue. I just spent over an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't rectify a raster dataset. Turns out it was because I was using the year at the beginning of the output name. A more informative error message would be really helpful there.

0 Kudos