Export Map Selection

02-07-2012 10:16 PM
MattBurcham
New Contributor II
Im looking to create a model to export a selection made via the select tool from within ArcMap. The model is to be run from ArcMap so just like if you have a selection and "right click > Data > Export Data... Selected features only" im looking to replicate that as the initial stage of my model. My current model works great, but its based a selection from attributes or location, where functionality has been request that a selection based on a custom map selection be used.

Is there an environment setting or a variable i can create to use the selection from within ArcMap because ive tried a few things and cant seem to figure out a way to do it

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MattBurcham
New Contributor II
Answered my own question! Pretty stupid...but I hate testing geoprocessing from within ArcMap because the forms are unbelievably slow, within ArcCatalogue they are fine, but try to open a model and run the same from ArcMap, then its 2min wait before it opens and takes forever to begin. But i just used copy features which i stupidly overlooked and rely on the inbuilt functionality that if there's a selection, its used for the output.

Any one knows why the forms etc. take so long to load etc. within ArcMap then that would be awesome.

Thanks
0 Kudos