ERROR 999999 When running PointsToLine ArcGIS Desktop 10.0

Jump to solution
10-22-2012 03:47 PM
JoeFaliti
New Contributor III
In an attempt to create line features from point features, I am experiencing error code 999999, which is not a very helpful error code.  How does one properly run that script located under Data Management Tools/Features?

Thanks for any help!

-Joe
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeFaliti
New Contributor III
Hello Again,

I thank you all, especially mzcoyle, for the assistance in using this script tool. 

I want to mention here, as it may be helpful to know that if using geocoded point features as the input for this script tool, it is important to excluded unmatched records from the dataset in order to avoid the "The coordinates or measures are out of bounds." error.

This was my earlier issue and I thought you may find this useful...

Thanks again!

-Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Are you running this as a tool by itself, part of a model or script? Does it crash immediately or does it process for a while? Can you post the point feature class you are executing this tool on?
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
I have similar problem when running script tools not within desktop (stand alone application).
The PointToLine is a script tool.
Are you running from stand alone application?
Can you run other (not script) tools.
Can you run it (using code) within desktop?

Mody
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
One of the issues with points2line is it uses the 9.3 geoprocessor which leads to some problems. I updated the version for 10 and added some functionality for max line connection, you can read the thread here. It's not perfect but I've never had an issue with it for my needs.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/58371-Points-to-Line-modification-v10
0 Kudos
JoeFaliti
New Contributor III
Hello,

First and foremost, thanks for the replies!

I am attempting to use the script tool directly, by doubleclicking the tool in the toolbox and filling in the form interface as seen in this image:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18649[/ATTACH]

I am assuming that the "Line Field" values would be used to differentiate which points are to participate in generating which individual resulting line segments, and that the "Sort Field" would be used to order the verticies of the line to be generated.  Please correct my assumptions if this is not the case.

There are 4550 points in the point feature class that are stored in a fGDB.

I shall try other methods of using the script tool for now and in the meantime, could someone let me know what attributes are needed in the table to create lines from points using this script tool?

Thanks,

-Joe
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Hello,

First and foremost, thanks for the replies!

I am attempting to use the script tool directly, by doubleclicking the tool in the toolbox and filling in the form interface as seen in this image:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18649[/ATTACH]

I am assuming that the "Line Field" values would be used to differentiate which points are to participate in generating which individual resulting line segments, and that the "Sort Field" would be used to order the verticies of the line to be generated.  Please correct my assumptions if this is not the case.

There are 4550 points in the point feature class that are stored in a fGDB.

I shall try other methods of using the script tool for now and in the meantime, could someone let me know what attributes are needed in the table to create lines from points using this script tool?

Thanks,

-Joe

I would attempt to create it first using only the required fields to narrow down your issues. Leave the optional parameters blank.

Also check to see if you have any multipoint features.
0 Kudos
JoeFaliti
New Contributor III
Hello,

I reduced the number of points and it seems to work.  I now need to work out the best way to populate the sort field for creating the line features in a meaningful manner.

Thanks!

-Joe
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I reduced the number of points and it seems to work.  I now need to work out the best way to populate the sort field for creating the line features in a meaningful manner.

Thanks!

-Joe

If you don't already have an ID or time of collection field populated it will be difficult to create one, depending on the complexity and size of your dataset.
0 Kudos
JoeFaliti
New Contributor III
Hello Again,

I thank you all, especially mzcoyle, for the assistance in using this script tool. 

I want to mention here, as it may be helpful to know that if using geocoded point features as the input for this script tool, it is important to excluded unmatched records from the dataset in order to avoid the "The coordinates or measures are out of bounds." error.

This was my earlier issue and I thought you may find this useful...

Thanks again!

-Joe
0 Kudos