Create a line from points using attributes

Jump to solution
05-04-2016 06:25 AM
CraigPrisland1
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I have a field in my point layer that contains values, for example, go something like the following: 1,1,1,1,1,1,3,3,3,3,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,3,1,1,1,1

I am looking to create separate line features for each set of unique values.  Using the example above, one line feature would be connecting the first 6 points that contain 1, the next line feature would contain the 4 points that contain 3, etc.  I initially tried using the Points to Line geoprocessing tool and populate this field in my point layer in the Line Field.  However my results looked like example 1 (See attached LineExample1.PNG).  I am looking for whenever there is a different value to a point, the lines do not join (see attached LineExample2.PNG).

So in short, I am looking to do LineExample2 and not LineExample1.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim Gattinger , can you share a sample of your data? This will make it a lot easier to show you what I mean.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim Gattinger , I have branched your post to a new question: Create lines from points and cut rectangle with line and assign attributes since the input format and required result are different from the original questions.

0 Kudos