Converting XY data to points

Jump to solution
11-17-2021 09:46 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a new survey datasheet with an Latitude and Longitude field in it. The documentation says, 'Corresponding latitudes and longitudes are provided relative to the GRS80 ellipsoid'. 

I am trying to use XY table to point geoprossessing tool and would like to convert this datasheet into a point feature class to display in my map but the normal way I do this is not working. It is giving me a 'Warning 100160: Some of the features have invalid geometry and have been removed from the result'. This leads me to believe I am using the wrong coordinate system which I have set to GCS WGS 84.

Should I set it to GRS80 instead?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your lat/long in the first image are wrong, just use your eastings and northings columns, they appear to be the projected coordinates which you can confirm for your area and projected coordinate system.

Don't use DMS from a spreadsheet, it would be best to relabel those field names so that they don't popup as the first choice.  If you must convert them to DD within the spreadsheet and label those as longitude and latitude.  Also Longitude or Easting is the X and Latitude or Northing is Y.... switching the order can prove interesting

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think the datum would be the issue.  Ensure that the Long/Lat are in decimal degrees and the data are truly numeric and there are no blanks etc/.  Also, you may have a number outside of the expected range of -90 to 90 (lat) and -180 to 180 (long)

perhaps a screen shot of the data would help with other suggestions

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Attached is a screenshot of the Excel table as it appears in ArcGIS Pro.

Note: When I open the Excel spreadsheet in Excel, the Lat/Long coordinates appear as Degrees Minutes Seconds. When I bring the spreadsheet into ArcGIS Pro, they appear as in the attached table. 

ETA: I have also attached the table as it looks when you open it in Excel 

I think I just realized what the problem is but would like to hear your answers

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your lat/long in the first image are wrong, just use your eastings and northings columns, they appear to be the projected coordinates which you can confirm for your area and projected coordinate system.

Don't use DMS from a spreadsheet, it would be best to relabel those field names so that they don't popup as the first choice.  If you must convert them to DD within the spreadsheet and label those as longitude and latitude.  Also Longitude or Easting is the X and Latitude or Northing is Y.... switching the order can prove interesting

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos