Convert Line to Dense Points - Model Builder

05-28-2013 01:21 PM
ShinoRah
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have a line and would like to convert it to a series of points at equal intervals from eachother inside model builder

I have tried feature vertices to points however this is limiting as only creates points at vertexes.

Please let me know if you know of a tool / clever way I can do this

Thanks in advance!!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
ShinoRah
New Contributor
Hi Dale,

Thanks for the link.  I've only got access to Arc10, do you know if a tool like this exists for that version?
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Hi Dale,

Thanks for the link.  I've only got access to Arc10, do you know if a tool like this exists for that version?

As far as I know, no... it's 10.1 only.  There's a note from the author (David Wynne):

...the code leans heavily on the new (at 10.1) positionAlongLine geometry method. Off the cuff, I'm not sure about being able support curves with this at 10.0 either. I'll think about it, but no promises.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Can you convert the line to a raster an then the raster to points? You will get points, but they won't be right on the line and lines at 45 to the raster alignment will get you a results you may not like; but then, maybe the result would still be usable for you.
0 Kudos
ShinoRah
New Contributor
In case someone else with the same question stumbles upon this thread..

I got the Xtools pro toolbox extension and found this tool: Convert Features to Equidistant Points. So that is how I got around this problem.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my initial question, as always, very much appreciated!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
GerryGabrisch
This tool works in 10 and creates a new feature class of points at equal distances along a line. 
The input data needs to be in a projected coord sys.

ftp://lnnr.lummi-nsn.gov/GIS_Scripts/CreatePointsAlongALine/

Good Luck
0 Kudos