Composite Geocode Blues

03-06-2015 12:38 PM
KevinLaughlin
New Contributor III

I'm fairly new to geocoding. I'm familiar with the concept, I've just never really had to attempt it in my professional career.

That having been said...

I have created several locators based off of the different types - dual ranges, city and state, single house, etc and complied them into a composite address locator. I have then published this as a geocode service on ArcGIS Server and have loaded it as my only geocoding utility in ArcGIS Online. I have several web applications in which I would like to use it.

However, certain functions do not seem to work. I can do a full address search successfully but I cannot do a 'place' search. I have one set up, it works perfectly when I pull it into ArcMap, but it does not work in the geocode service.

I have published it from my SDE connect as well as from a network location (not SDE) and I get the same result everytime: the full address search will work but the city/state search (Your Town, NY) does not (and it works perfectly in ArcMap!).

I'm a little confused but does anyone or more experienced geocoders have a solution or could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

I will start by stating that I am not an expert in geocoders.

Just a guess, but I would check to see if the geocoders are all in the same coordinate system.

ArcMap is a bit more robust when it comes to coordinate systems than Online and that may explain the difference in behavior?

Mark

0 Kudos
AgathaWong
New Contributor III

Please also try to use the CityState locator by itself (not composite) and see if the locator works Online.

Agatha

Esri

0 Kudos
KevinLaughlin
New Contributor III

Mark,

They weren't. The composite was in Web Mercator and the single locators were in another (NAD 83 Ohio North).

I've switched the composite to NAD 83 Ohio North, but I seem to be getting similar results. Do locators (composite or otherwise) have to be in Web Mercator to function in AGO?

Also, this is something I've just noticed, but when you do the location search, it runs but does not produce and error or say that the locator could not find anything.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

I created a simple composite locator, using Gazetteer locator type for both.  One was in WebMercator the other in State plane coordinate system.   I tried with the compositie being defined both as web mercator and as stateplane and it made now difference.   I published the locator to ArcGIS Server.

Tested the geocoder via the rest endpoint.

http://server:6080/arcgis/rest/services/bockxxrxzcomp_sp/GeocodeServer/findAddressCandidates

locatortest.png

Confirming it could find from both locators in the composite.

I then added this to my organization, and it found locations from both locators. 

I had multiple locators in the organization and just specified the one to use in the search dropdown.

searchdropdown.png

Does the composite locator work correctly for you when you use it via your rest url?

Mark

0 Kudos