combining 2 shape files from different surveyors

12-16-2013 07:14 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
I have a surveyor working on collecting manhole data, we have since hired another surveyor to collect manhole data. I have 2 shape files, all have similar data, but I need to get them into 1 file. Can someone take a look at these and tell me the best way to do this? I'm guessing I will have to map fields somehow, but have not ever done this being a newbie. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Not asking anyone to do this for me, but just need a little direction on the process. Thanks much.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
They're both collected in different coordinate systems for starters. One is in UTM and the other in Lat\Lon.

Assign coordinate systems to the shape files (whatever the correct projected UTM zone is for all_manholes, and a geographic one for the other, probably World\WGS 1984)

Open a new map, and set the data frame to the proper projected coordinate system (I'm assuming that the UTM one is the "correct" one here). Add the all_manholes and then Export_RJN file. Export the latter using the data frame coordinate system, then merge the output with the all_manholes file. The table will be a mess, but you should be able to deal with that.
0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
actually both should have been in a state plane coordinate system.
0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
as I look at the RJN Export file, something strange I can't figure out.  I look at the shape file in catalog window and the properties reports arkansas north coordinate system, but as I look at them in my data frame, id a point then it is reporting in lat/long. Why is this? How do i get the rjn export points to show in the correct place?
0 Kudos