Clip failure

04-23-2014 03:46 PM
MichaelVoake
New Contributor
Hi! I'm attempting to clip a polygon layer from the results of a buffer, and I'm getting error 000117 (Warning empty output generated). Based on some of the results I've found here, I've checked the extents of the layers (not set), checked the coordinate systems of my input layers (identical, GCS WGS 1984), and tried repairing the geometry (the repair geometry tool ran, but I still got the same error afterwards.

I was able to clip the same polygon layer out of a different layer (buffered from the same points but a smaller buffer) without any challenges, but every time I try to clip it out of the layer with the larger buffer I get an error.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
Just throwing things out there.....are there overlaps in the small and larger buffers? did you try the dissolve option on the buffer tool?
0 Kudos
MichaelVoake
New Contributor
The buffers do overlap each other, but it doesn't seem to make much difference - I get the same error with the buffer zones dissolved together that I do when they're separate.

The small and large buffers are built around the same point, but the clip works on the small buffer zones.
0 Kudos