Arc 9.3.1 failure to intersect

07-26-2017 06:43 PM
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Using ArcGIS 9.3.1, I successfully executed an Intersect between two polygon shape files (I tried intersecting 3 shape files first but the license won't allow that apparently. So, I then tried to intersect the successful intersection with the third file, using a second Intersect. This repeatedly fails. I tried the same Intersect at another institution using Arc10.0 but got the same failure. Is Arc detecting that one of the files is already the product of an intersect and therefore denying me the chance to intersect a third file? The error message I get is:

Executing: Intersect "'Intersection_diek buffer_F2 buffer' #;'br200k_lithological_unit_prospective units' #" "L:\Nero_Alternate\Kuusamo_GIS\Finnish GTK stuff\FS_Geology\200k_Finland_tm35Fin\Arc translations\Intersection_dike_F2_prospunits.shp" ALL # INPUT

Start Time: Thu Jul 27 09:36:41 2017

Reading Features...

Cracking Features...

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

Invalid Topology [M coord limit exceeded.]

Failed to execute (Intersect).

End Time: Thu Jul 27 09:36:43 2017 (Elapsed Time: 2.00 seconds)

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you read Error: 999999: Coordinate limit exceeded ?  Does it help?

Also, ArcGIS 9.3.1 was retired on 12/2013 and ArcGIS 10.0 was retired on 01/2016.  It is getting more and more difficult for GeoNet users to comment on those older versions since so few people are running them and there have been hundreds, and maybe thousands, or bug fixes since 9.3.1.

Good luck.

WalterWitt
New Contributor III

It wasn't retired by me

JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Have you tried doing this on your local C:\ rather than a network drive?

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Also see this link here

Error: 999999: Coordinate limit exceeded 

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Ive tried it now but without success. Thanks for the thought

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

I have read the Error: 999999 notes but they don't help because I don't understand

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the coordinate System of the inputs? Ensure they have a Projected Coordinate System (Units: Meters / Feet) and it is same for all inputs.

Think Location
0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Both have exactly the same projection and co-ordinate system

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the Coordinate System (PCS)? Could you attach a snapshot?

Think Location
0 Kudos