Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Join duplicating OIDs ArcGIS Pro

11-15-2018 02:42 PM
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am using the Add Join tool to join a File Geodatabase Feature Class attribute table to another File Geodatabase Feature Class using parcel ID as the common field. 

After the join I end up with more features than the original File Geodatabase Feature Class (Original 245,146, after the join 245,149) and I get this message next to the total number of features in a yellow triangle at the bottom of the attribute table after the join has been made: "You have duplicate OIDs in this table as a result of the join. The selection count is for unique OIDs, the total count is for all rows." (please see attached picture named Add_Join)

I tried both with the unchecked "Keep All Target Features" and checking it but both ave me the same result.

I used the Copy Features tool to make the join permanent and the extra features were still there. (Please see picture named Export_Features). 

1. I would like to identify the extra features that were added with the join and why this is happening.

2. How to avoid this from happening ?

Note: I was not having this problem when I was joining shapefile feature classes to file geodatabase feature classes. I cannot keep on doing it this way because it was taking too long (days) to process.

I am guessing I was not having this problem with shapefiles because shapefiles use FID instead of OBJECTID?

I would appreciate someone to help me with this matter,

thanks,

16 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This is a good start: is what you show above the in_layer or the join_table? (target or source).  When I look over at the Shape_Length and Shape_Area values, sirens go off in my head:  those are really tiny parcels. Seem like sliver polygons to me...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

That is the table I am joining to the table I want to keep.

I guess the join_table.

And yes, these parcels are tiny ...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

See if those parcel id's appear more than once in the target table/feature class. I'll leave it up to to delete anything in your data.

0 Kudos
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

I am not sure if I understand what you mean... Sorry could you explain further

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Somewhere your data is being duplicated:  you should examine the data you are joining to; you've already discovered some repeats in the data your are joining (from). You are getting a many to one join and that is goofing up your expected results.  To me, the data you displayed earlier is erroneous.  No one has a parcel that small.  Make a copy of your data.  Always make a copy of your data before you follow my lead!  Delete those slivers, perform the join and see what your results are.  But like I said, look at the other table/feature class you are joining to first.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can we get back to the getting rid of 'show hide' the alias? We need to determine WHERE that extra OBJECTID came from and what it belongs to.  it isn't a duplicate if it belongs to another table, check my post way way up the one with the picture

0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Pro manages to duplicate features according to their corresponding values when performing the “add join” tool as per the screenshot below. I think this capability is enhanced in Pro

Clip_658.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos