09-09-2022 05:41 PM
Labels (1)
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

We want to upgrade Oracle to 19.3

Our current environment looks like this 

• ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1
  • Oracle Database 12c Release 12.1.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
  • ArcGIS Desktop/Geodatabase 10.6.1 with the "Support for Oracle 19c Patch" installed

forestknutsen1_0-1662769886289.pngforestknutsen1_1-1662769919848.png

I don't think I need to patch ArcGIS Enterprise as it is at 10.8.1, so it looks like I have all the Esri patches installed that I will need.

So, the plan is right now to:

1. Setup a new test server with an empty Oracle 19c (64 bit) 19.3.0.0.0 database
  2. Add the shapelib file to the server and set it's path in the new database
  3. Export everything from our production database with the export data pump
  4. Import everything into the new 19c database

Does this sound reasonable?

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/10.6/database-requirements-oracle.htm

https://support.esri.com/en/download/7734

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That sounds reasonable. I would make sure to import the SDE schema first on the import.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree. It is a common migration path for Oracle to use Data Pump to move the geodatabase. I want to point out that Oracle 19.3 is very old now and you shall really consider to install the latest Oracle 19c Patchset ( Oracle 19.16 19-JULY-2022 ) to have the latest enhancements and bug fixes. Oracle Database Software has memory leaks, bugs and security vulnerabilities, hence is important to keep your Oracle Database Patched, to patch an Oracle Database Home is necessary to install the Oracle DB Patch  + JDK Patch + Perl Patch + OJVM Patch and if you have RAC and Oracle Grid Infrastructure to install the Oracle GI Patch as well. You can download the Oracle Patches for www.support.oracle.com but you need to have a valid Oracle Subscription. 

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

yes, Oracle 19.3 is the base certified released for the Geodatabase and customers need to apply the Oracle Patches for the reasons I described, hence yes, the Geodatabase is still supported with Oracle 19.16, but read below from the documentation to understand.

-------------------------------

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6.x ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and 2.2—System Requirements | Document...

Oracle database patch support

Oracle patches are supported. This includes Oracle patch set levels and Oracle Interim (One-Off) Patch as per Oracle Corporation's Patch Set Overview and Interim Patch documentation.

See Oracle Support for all Oracle patch set (and Interim Patch) documentation and installation instructions. Esri recommends making a full backup of your Oracle database prior to applying any Oracle patch sets or interim patch. If functionality that was working prior to applying the Oracle patch set or interim patch stops working, return to the previous version of Oracle. Contact Oracle support as needed.

-----------------

Note: I 've been patching Oracle Databases and Enterprise Geodatabases for over 20 years and on all this time I only run into an issue once and Oracle had to publish an one-off patch to fix the problem. 

You shall also update the version of the Oracle Client on the ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) & ArcGIS Pro machines and ArcGIS Enterprise servers ( Portal & ArcGIS Server ) to the latest Oracle Client 19.16 (full client) or the latest Oracle Instant Client 19.15.   

10 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That sounds reasonable. I would make sure to import the SDE schema first on the import.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Awesome! Thanks George. I will ask the DBA to do that.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree. It is a common migration path for Oracle to use Data Pump to move the geodatabase. I want to point out that Oracle 19.3 is very old now and you shall really consider to install the latest Oracle 19c Patchset ( Oracle 19.16 19-JULY-2022 ) to have the latest enhancements and bug fixes. Oracle Database Software has memory leaks, bugs and security vulnerabilities, hence is important to keep your Oracle Database Patched, to patch an Oracle Database Home is necessary to install the Oracle DB Patch  + JDK Patch + Perl Patch + OJVM Patch and if you have RAC and Oracle Grid Infrastructure to install the Oracle GI Patch as well. You can download the Oracle Patches for www.support.oracle.com but you need to have a valid Oracle Subscription. 

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Right so our DBA did point out the 9.16 version in a meetings. But I thought that the 19.3 version was the highest supported by Esri based on this documentation.

forestknutsen1_1-1663000598216.pnghttps://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/10.6/database-requirements-oracle.htm

But your saying we can go to all the way 9.16 and still be fully supported by Esri?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

yes, Oracle 19.3 is the base certified released for the Geodatabase and customers need to apply the Oracle Patches for the reasons I described, hence yes, the Geodatabase is still supported with Oracle 19.16, but read below from the documentation to understand.

-------------------------------

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6.x ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and 2.2—System Requirements | Document...

Oracle database patch support

Oracle patches are supported. This includes Oracle patch set levels and Oracle Interim (One-Off) Patch as per Oracle Corporation's Patch Set Overview and Interim Patch documentation.

See Oracle Support for all Oracle patch set (and Interim Patch) documentation and installation instructions. Esri recommends making a full backup of your Oracle database prior to applying any Oracle patch sets or interim patch. If functionality that was working prior to applying the Oracle patch set or interim patch stops working, return to the previous version of Oracle. Contact Oracle support as needed.

-----------------

Note: I 've been patching Oracle Databases and Enterprise Geodatabases for over 20 years and on all this time I only run into an issue once and Oracle had to publish an one-off patch to fix the problem. 

You shall also update the version of the Oracle Client on the ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) & ArcGIS Pro machines and ArcGIS Enterprise servers ( Portal & ArcGIS Server ) to the latest Oracle Client 19.16 (full client) or the latest Oracle Instant Client 19.15.   

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Marcelo! We will plan on moving to 9.16 and not 19.3. Clearly that will be better. And I will double check our Oracle Clients and update if needed.

@George_Thompson  and @MarceloMarques I appreciate all the help!

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

See below my blog posts.

Oracle eGDB SDE Repo Upgrade Using Oracle Restore Point | Download PDF Version
How to Move eGDB using Oracle Data Pump
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Great, I passed the data pump documentation on to our DBA.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

I made a few edits please get the latest version of the data pump white paper.

Oracle eGDB SDE Repo Upgrade Using Oracle Restore Point | Download PDF Version
How to Move eGDB using Oracle Data Pump

Thanks,

Marcelo