Unregistering as versioned corrupted Feature Class. help.

11-08-2018 05:35 PM
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II

Two feature classes apparently were corrupted when I 'unregistred as versioned'.

I cannot open, delete, or change the name of the feature classes.  This creates a huge problem since code is dependent on the name.  Super frustrating...

See attached picture with error message:

Open Failed

Error opening feature class.

The item does not have a definition.

The XML being loaded could not be parsed. [physical name: GIS.DATACREATOR.COUNTIES]

XML Parsing failed.

Reason:An invalid character was found in text content.

------------

At the very least, I'd like to remove (delete) the feature class so I can rebuild it...

Any assistance is very much appreciated!

GDB stored in SQL Server.  ArcGIS 10.5.1.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

try the metadata view & repair tools

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
JerryGarcia

Thanks for the suggestion.  But, this did not resolve the issue.  The repair tool did not find any problems.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.  This is a major headache.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would suggest contacting Esri Technical Support and working with an analyst on this one. It seems that a backup may need to be taken and provided for them to review.

--- George T.
JerryGarcia

Thanks for the feedback.  Working with Esri tech support would take forever.  I don't have time for that.  I took a back-up of database and will attempt to remove all artifacts for the corrupt feature class via SQL Server Management Studio.  Thanks!  

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I can respect the time perspective but would highly recommend it. There may be another reason that the FC did not get unregistered correctly.

You can do it manually, but I would not recommend it due to all the dependencies that are within the Geodatabase.

--- George T.
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

I've run into the same issue in a SQL*Server instance running ArcGIS 10.6.1.   Did you ever find a resolution?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Ed

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Kind of interesting.   As look at the GDB_ITEMS table in SQL*Server Management studio the row for my problem feature class does indeed have a NULL Definition field.   Not sure how that could happen - I've never touched the database outside ArcGIS -- though I've been using ArcPython to update class properties (i.e., add fields, domains, etc.)

Wonder if I could copy a Definition field from another class into my null field... which might allow me to delete the class.

0 Kudos
ColinWerle1
Esri Contributor

It is typically not recommended to manually edit the geodatabase items through the backend because it can lead to unexpected behaviors. In this circumstance restoring a database backup is likely the safest solution. If you restore the database to the condition prior to unregistering as versioned, do you see the Definition field populated?

It may be a good idea to do a clean export and re-import of the data from that backup. When you export the feature class to a file geodatabase and re-import it, it will not be registered as versioned. However, it would be worth going through the workflow of registering and unregistering as versioned to see if the issue persists. 

0 Kudos