Selected Object Failed to Draw

07-05-2018 08:40 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have found a feature class (one for now...) that when preview it, this error appears:

Error: The selected object failed to draw  discusses the problem when seeing the error in an Oracle eGDB: we use Sql Server. Is the procedure the same?    I'm working on a python solution to automate finding and fixing feature class problems (see https://community.esri.com/thread/217423-feature-class-extents-change ).  Is there a python method to find this problem?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

weird... it is like a mismatched coordinate system

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It is weird!  I don't get where the 'valid coordinate range' would come from....

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you working with a standard Oracle SDE geodatabase or a spatially enabled Oracle database that just has SDE ST_geometry libraries installed?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Neither-  we are a Sql Server shop.  Something I should add is this particular feature class is within a feature data set, so the exception is more than likely an issue between the source feature class and the feature data set.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is your shop using both ArcMap and ArcPro at the same time as a transition to ArcPro?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yes-  I am noticing the problem in ArcCatalog, 10.5.1

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This is a shot in the dark, but from ESRI documentation could expose a weakness in a shop that is using both ArcMap and ArcPro at the same time.

Are you using Attribute Rules in ArcGIS Pro to edit the problematic feature class in the feature dataset?  If you are, the ESRI documentation states that this fc in the feature dataset would no longer be available in ArcMap.  I'm not sure what errors you would get in ArcMap under this scenario, so this is just a possible theory on why this fc is not working properly in ArcMap.

Can you view the same fc in Pro at this time?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I get the same error when I add the fc to an arcmap session; I can add it to an arcgis pro map, but it does not draw, and provides no error.

We have an extensive eGDB that utilizes feature data sets, and this is just one feature class within that feature data set.  All the other feature classes draw up without an issue.  For a test, I created a new feature data set using the same coordinate system criteria as the original and imported the feature class from the source data.  That feature class works just fine.  I think what I'll do over night (as the eGDB in question is in use) is delete the problem child feature class, and copy it back in from the source.

Thanks for your responses.

0 Kudos