Oracle Proxy connection using OS Authentication

Jump to solution
09-21-2018 12:40 PM
KevinGoetz
New Contributor

Has anyone made a proxy user connection (Connect As) to a Enterprise Geodatabase on Oracle  (11, 12,or 18) using OS Authentication through the Database Connection wizard in ArcCatalog? Alternatively, has anyone made a proxy connection to an Oracle database (11, 12,or 18) using OS Authentication through ArcPy? If yes, please provide with syntax or method to reveal functionality in the Database Connection GUI.

I have had no luck finding guidance on this and I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1-10.5.1 on windows platform using a direct connection to an Oracle housed SDE Database at the 10.4.1 geodatabase level. For instance I can create a Proxy connection to the SDE user as another user called User1. This can be achieved using the Database Authentication > User Name: User1[sde]

I am specifically looking to connect using "Authentication Type: Operating system authentication" which automatically locks the User name/Password text boxes. 

This older technical article describes the need but not the procedure to combine proxy authentication and OS Authentication: How To: Use Oracle proxy authentication with ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

OK, now I get what you are after.  In my organization's setup, we accomplish OS-user proxy connections using the database authentication setting, putting proxy user's name in brackets as the username, and then putting /@ for the password.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can specify OSA when creating a new database connection file using ArcPy.

Create Database Connection—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :

Syntax

CreateDatabaseConnection_management (out_folder_path, out_name, database_platform, instance, {account_authentication}, {username}, {password}, {save_user_pass}, {database}, {schema}, {version_type}, {version}, {date})
ParameterExplanationData Type
account_authentication
(Optional)
  • DATABASE_AUTH —Database Authentication. Uses an internal database user name and password to connect to the database. You aren't required to type your user name and password to create a connection; however, if you don't, you will be prompted to enter them when a connection is established.
    Note:

If the connection file you are creating will provide ArcGIS services with access to the database or geodatabase, or if you want to use the Catalog search to locate data accessed through this connection file, you must type a user name and password.

• OPERATING_SYSTEM_AUTH —Use operating system authentication. You do not need to type in a user name and password. The connection will be made with the user name and password used to log in to the operating system. If the login used for the operating system is not a valid geodatabase login, the connection will fail.
Boolean
0 Kudos
KevinGoetz
New Contributor

Yes OSA can be selected in ArcPy and ArcCatalog, but a Proxy Authentication is the goal. Both of these paths contain no documented means to "Connect As", another user. There is no dis-allowance documented either.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

OK, now I get what you are after.  In my organization's setup, we accomplish OS-user proxy connections using the database authentication setting, putting proxy user's name in brackets as the username, and then putting /@ for the password.

KevinGoetz
New Contributor

Thank you Joshua! I don't know if I would have ever thought of that combination.

0 Kudos