Large log file

08-30-2021 03:09 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor
We have a log file that is consuming more space than normal.

From our DBA:
"The space is being consumed by table user.sde_logfile_data and two of its indexes. This table has 882, 054 rows."

The user reported no large selection operations. 

So, my questions are:
1) when does the users log file normally get cleaned out?
2)  is a 1,000,000 rows in the log file unreasonable
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am not sure of the RDBMS being used, but going to guess for Oracle.

Did the user do any of the bottom two below:

• You (or a tool or other process you run) create a selection set of a specific size—more than 100 records in ArcMap; more than 1,000 records in ArcGIS Pro; more than 1,000 records when Object IDs are requested from a feature service.
  • You reconcile or post to a versioned geodatabase.
  • A client application checks out data for disconnected editing.

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-oracle/logfiles-oracle.htm

The log file table should be cleaned out when the user / application disconnects from the geodatabase. I am not sure the # of records in the table is an issue, as long as performance decreases are not experienced.

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-oracle/geodatabase-system-tables-ora...

--- George T.
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, we are on Oracle ( sorry I should have led with that). And we are on ArcMap 10.6.1.

The user does often select more than 100 features. The user also reconciles and posts to a versioned geodatabase often. We don't do disconnected editing.

It looks like this users log files are not getting deleted when the user disconnects. I now show him with 2,000 more rows in this table and no active connections to the database. I checked the connections with ArcCatalog and on the Oracle backend. The other heavy users have no row in the log data table, so the problem appears to limited in scope at this time.

Any other bright idea's? I am thinking it might be time for an Esri case.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would agree that contacting technical support would be best.

--- George T.