How to improve performance of large dataset

06-15-2019 08:35 PM
deleted-user-yC5VkbyXzrQR
Occasional Contributor

So we have a PLSS(sections & ranges) layer for the entire US. It's roughly around 2 million features. Every time we bring in this layer it slows down the entire MXD and lags a lot. I know it's this layer because when I turn it off the mxd performs a lot faster. I did some research and I found a few tricks but none work:

•    Export your shapefile to a file geodatabase feature class - Already a filegeodatabase. 
  • If you are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 or later move it into a Basemap Layer - Doesn't really improve performance

What else is there to do, besides breaking it up?  

I sometimes use the map service below, which is ALOT quicker. 

https://gis.blm.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Cadastral/BLM_Natl_PLSS_CadNSDI/MapServer

How do I get my layer to run as fast as the map server. I can see that its a png file that uses in ArcGIS Online. 

Does this mean the data is in a raster format? 

I tired Polygon to Raster but then it cant use labels and the symbology doesn't work well. 

What am I missing here? 

Thanks, 

Adam 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since you haven't said what exactly your research entails, I will ask, you have read over all three sections of An overview of designing maps for optimal performance—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ?

As Esri's documentation mentions, there are numerous factors that influence a layer's performance ranging from data structure to symbology to labeling and more.  You will need to provide more specifics to get more specific feedback.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I'll take a look at this. This is what I was wanting to find. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey Joshua, 

I read over a bit of the material gave me it helped. It improved the speed a bit.

However, I still want it as fast as that service that i mentioned. 

https://gis.blm.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Cadastral/BLM_Natl_PLSS_CadNSDI/MapServer

I should have asked how do I make a mapserver like above? How is that one so fast and responsive?

Sorry it might be a generally question, hopefully you can help me out. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given the scale/scope, density, and complexity of the CadNSDI data sets, I am guessing a non-trivial amount of time went into optimizing the data and layers to make a high-performing map service.

Not to sound like a broken record, but it is hard to offer specific suggestions when you have shared so little about how your data and layers are structured.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I understand. 

Thanks for the advice Josh. 

I got things to work a lot faster by:

-  putting the data in a sde rather than a fgdb

-  making the labels from a single field instead of multiple fields.

-  added it to a basemap layer

-  Removing halos and using shadows

-  Having it in the same CS. 

All these changes made it lightning fast!  I got it to load from 30 seconds to almost instant! 

Thanks Josh for the article. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am glad you got it working better.  I am a systems engineer responsible for deploying ArcGIS Enterprise, and I commonly deal with this issue, not directly but from people who complain that ArcGIS Server is slow when in fact they have created a slow service.