Arc SDE move instance, not data

Jump to solution
01-01-2016 01:01 PM
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

OK - we have a 9.3.1 SDE - it is simply the SDE server NOT the database server.  It needs retiring as it is Server 2003.

The database is a SQL 2008 on a different server, which is fine.

Ideally we want shot of SDE on a server, but have a legacy application that still needs it.

So, I want to create a Windows SDE service on the new server (10.2.1) that points to the existing database on the existing SQL server.  After which I'll run the relevant upgrade tool to get the datastore up to 10.2.1.

The nice Post Install wizard seems missing in 10.2.1, so I can't even use that.

I've never really done any SDE commandline stuff so am totally lost here. 

Any help much appreciated.

ACM

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianMarsden

OK - I think I follow - which command is it sdeservice?

So should it be

sdeservice -o create -d SQLSERVER -p <EXISTING SDE SCHEMA PASSWORD> -i <my service name I am recreating on this server, imaginably called SDE> -s <my existing sql server where the data currently is>

But before that I need to go into ArcCat on the new server, make a direct connection and upgrade it to 10.2.1 (assuming ArcCat is 10.2.1, which I don't think it currently is, but it can be)

Cheers

edit - this page help Creating an ArcSDE Service on Windows using ArcGIS 10.1 | Esri Australia Technical Blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

To create the service, install ArcSDE 10.2.1 and use Command line to create the Service.

** The version of the sde gdb and the version of SDE should match, or else the Service won't start.

You will need a Direct Connection, to do the upgrade.

So, you need to upgrade the gdb first and then create the SDE Service using sde 10.2.1 command line tools.

AdrianMarsden

OK - I think I follow - which command is it sdeservice?

So should it be

sdeservice -o create -d SQLSERVER -p <EXISTING SDE SCHEMA PASSWORD> -i <my service name I am recreating on this server, imaginably called SDE> -s <my existing sql server where the data currently is>

But before that I need to go into ArcCat on the new server, make a direct connection and upgrade it to 10.2.1 (assuming ArcCat is 10.2.1, which I don't think it currently is, but it can be)

Cheers

edit - this page help Creating an ArcSDE Service on Windows using ArcGIS 10.1 | Esri Australia Technical Blog

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Which SQL-Server 2008 are you running?  ArcGIS 10.2 requires a 64-bit client binary, with 2008-SP1 or 2008R2-SP1.  If you've moved off the unsupported OS, you should be running the terminal 10.2 release (10.2.2 with the appropriate patches applied).

Remote server service creation requires the "-n" flag for successful operation.  You also need to follow the complete instructions on registering the ADMIN_DATABASE and SDE_DBA_USER (if necessary) keywords.

- V

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden

Yep - our SQL is 2008R2 - I'm not sure about the client version on the GIS server - I;ll check. But I created a 9.31. SDE service on the olde server, then moved it to the new one, and all seems OK - and I noticed the -n flag - thanks.

0 Kudos