Anyone getting the error "The app domain ... was unloaded due to memory pressure and could not be found"

Jump to solution
07-19-2016 06:25 AM
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Several months ago we upgraded SQL Server to 2014 on Win2012. Geodb is at 10.2.2 still.

Since the upgrade, we see performance degrade over about a 2 week period to the point of having to restart the DB server.

The SQL logs show an increasing number of error statements as shown in the title. Example: on day 10 after a restart  I get one unloaded error and it repeats over 5 days, then I get 3 errors on day 16, then 40 on day 17 and finally 3500 on roughly the 18-21st day. At this point the server is paralyzed across the whole instance and needs to be restarted.

This ESRI tech article refers to a Microsoft memory error but gives no details.

Error: The app domain with specified version id (%d) was unloaded due to memory pressure and could n...

Before we drop $$ on Microsoft, does anyone have a similar experience?

Best I can tell it seems to deal with spatial data types, CLR and memory.

ESRI confirmed that CLR is not required for ArcGIS to work with SQL Server.

Any help is appreciated

TIA

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi acmadison and tdowd,

As for the supported version of SQL Server 2014, support starts at the base version of 2014. Just cause no service packs are listed does not mean that they are not supported.

Non-certification of an environment does not necessarily mean it is not supported. That environment is supported if it meets or exceeds the base build environment and that environment is known to not fail. Environments that are known to not work are usually documented on the product support page as soon as that information is available.

Supported Environment Policy 

So patching to the latest update is supported unless otherwise noted.

Hope this helps clear up the supported policy.

--- George T.
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Hey George

So as of today (10/11/2016) the supported RDBMS page says this:

So are these the "base builds" referred to in the policy?

I would surmise then that loading SQL 2012 SP1 is the "supported" "base build" of the software and that

loading pre SP1 would be problematic which is exactly what seemed to be the issue we were experiencing.

When my problem began the requirements page did not include SP1, leading myself to believe I should not be loading up SP1 or SP2.  (even though that was the solution to the problem)

In other words, we should look at the Reqs. page as the lowest level and anything above it is OK to install?

So if MS put out SP3 tomorrow it would be good to load from ESRI's perspective?

I always used this page as the ceiling and its seems now it is the floor for installed version determination.

Am I understanding correctly?

BTW - thanks for engaging on the topic.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Aaron,

Yes, based on your description I would say you are correct. As long as the SQL server version (build) matches what is listed (as the minium or "base build") you should be good. I do know that changes to that page are made when warranted for a specific RDBMS.

I always ran the following SQL Server query:

select @@version

This would give me the full build information and then compared it to this site for the "English" translation (i.e 11.0.3000.0 = SQL Server 2012 SP1)

Microsoft SQL Server Version List  or the MS page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/321185 

Hope this helps and I am glad to help clear up any confusion on this subject as I know it can be confusing.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Mind blowing.

I have operated for years under the belief not to exceed the versions listed because they were not "supported."

You know what would help. Presenting the info like you do on the OS page with a Min/Max format.

Then no grey area. !?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I see where you are coming from, but we list the "base" supported version and anticipate that all the updates after that version work as well. So as long as you are at the "base" version you should be good in terms of support.

It would be almost impossible for any company to test their software against all the versions/updates for other RDBMS's let alone other O/S's that are supported.

I am glad that I was able to clear up some confusion.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TomDowd
New Contributor

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
baohuachu3
New Contributor III

Hi all, 

In my replica I try to let the data in one replica smaller, that means select fewer layers in one replica and then the problem may not appear.

0 Kudos