How to model elbow with line shape in updm

Jump to solution
04-02-2022 01:51 AM
Gordon
by
New Contributor

HI, guys

I have a problem when using UPDM to model elbow for gas pipeline. In Utility Network Domain Classes, elbow is a subtype of PipelineJunction and it is designed as a point. However, the true is elbow has beign point, middle point, and end point, it should be a line with angle. How can I identify linear features of elbows?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Gordon,

It is possible to reconfigure UPDM to represent a fitting, such as elbows as a PipelineLine AssetGroup. If your goal is to provide better data to a hydraulic modeling solution, such as Synergi Gas there is a field already in the PipelineJunction featureclass named: "measuredlength".  There is also a field named: "angle".  These two fields can be used to document, and then pass an elbow's characteristics to the hydraulic modeling solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Gordon,

It is possible to reconfigure UPDM to represent a fitting, such as elbows as a PipelineLine AssetGroup. If your goal is to provide better data to a hydraulic modeling solution, such as Synergi Gas there is a field already in the PipelineJunction featureclass named: "measuredlength".  There is also a field named: "angle".  These two fields can be used to document, and then pass an elbow's characteristics to the hydraulic modeling solution.

0 Kudos
Gordon
by
New Contributor

Hello @TomDeWitte , thanks for your answer.

Using PipelineLine AssetGroup is a better choice for my project.

By the way, if I add a field "viewshape" of type shape, does it work as a solution in UPDM? 

0 Kudos
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Gordon.

You ask if a featureclass can store two sets of geometries (ie. two SHAPE fields).  The answer is no. The ArcGIS data model only supports 1 geometry representation (SHAPE field) per featureclass schema. 

Please continue to post to this site if you have additional questions. The entire community benefits from the sharing of this information.

Tom DeWitte