Select to view content in your preferred language

Geo Apps MOOC: Common Questions Answered

01-25-2022 04:03 PM
Labels (1)
KatieSmith
Esri Regular Contributor
0 0 690

GeoApps MOOC banner 1200x400-1.jpgWe are approximately twelve hours away from the start of Esri’s 2022 Do-It-Yourself Geo Apps MOOC. Thousands of people from around the world are joining this year’s course offering, and we are excited to go on this learning journey together. A new section opens each week, and if you finish all the course content, Esri will give you a certificate of completion. 

If you haven’t registered yet, but you’re interested in learning more about building geo-enabled apps (without writing any code), there is still time to sign up. Registration closes on February 2 at 11:59 pm Pacific timeSign up now

For those eagerly anticipating the start of the MOOC, we wanted to share some MOOC common questions (and answers). To view more frequently asked questions, navigate to the Help tab within the course dashboard.

How do I plan my time to complete the course? 

You are free to work at whatever time you choose, at your own pace, while the course is open. The exact date and time the course closes can be found in the Dates to Remember pane on the Dashboard tab. We recommend you add these dates to your personal calendar. 

The course content is divided into sections; each section consists of lessons such as videos, hands-on exercises, quizzes, and other activities. New sections open each week, and all previous sections remain open until the course closes.  

To plan your time, expect to spend a minimum of 2-3 hours on each section. To earn a certificate of completion, all sections must be completed (green checkmark appears next to it in the Lessons tab) before the course closes on March 2 at 11:59 pm Pacific time 

What is my ArcGIS Online organizational account username for this course? How do I find it? 

Everyone who joins an Esri MOOC is given a temporary ArcGIS Online organizational account that's been assigned the software licenses, permissions, and credits needed to complete the hands-on exercises. This account is intended for use in the course and is active only while the course is open. 

To complete the exercises in this course, go to the main Lesson tab accessible from the black navigation bar to find your assigned ArcGIS Online username and password. Complete details on how to sign in to ArcGIS Online for the first time are in the Section 1 exercise PDF, Find Amenities in Denver, CO. 

For more information on MOOC software setup, read this blog

How do I access my certificate? 

When you have completed all the course lessons in each section (each lesson in each section is checked with a green checkmark), you have completed the course and are entitled to a certificate. 

At that point you will see this text and button under the progress bar: 

KatieSmith_0-1643154161316.png

Click on the "View Certificate" button to access your certificate, a downloadable PDF. You can also access the certificate from your My Learning Activity page. 

Have Fun!

We wish you the best of luck on your MOOC learning journey! Discover some new app development tricks, connect with other MOOC attendees, and most importantly, have fun.  

PS: If you want to stay up to date on the latest Esri developer community activities, check out the GeoDev site 

About the Author
Katie Smith was born in the beautiful state of Minnesota and now resides in sunny Southern California. She is on the Esri Training Team and desires to help people learn about the fascinating world of GIS.