Metadata xml  does not match any template

03-11-2013 10:08 AM
LaurelKish
New Contributor III
I have several metadata records in an Oracle database that do not match any of the standard templates that come with Geoportal. I have upgraded all metadata to the ArcGIS metadata format. Most files match the FGDC template, but several have elements that are not found in any other template. Has anyone else run across this problem and if so, how did you rectify the problem? I would rather not create a whole new template for a small percentage of files.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
The correct approach would be to go back to the metadata author and have them tell you what metadata standard they were writing to.

If you don't have access to the metadata author, then you have to inspect the metadata xml and make a reasoned guess depending on how complete or incomplete the metadata is.  The demo sandbox Geoportal Server at http://gptogc.esri.com could be used as a tool with this process.  Login.  Use the Administration tab.  Click ADD.  Choose "Upload metadata file from the local disk".  Browse to the local metadata XML file you want to inspect.  Click Validate and look at the resulting message(s).
0 Kudos
LaurelKish
New Contributor III
Thanks for the suggestion. I had validated my metadata files. Thats how I came to this point. When I validate or try to upload to GeoP, I get errors for missing data. The tags that would contain the missing data don't even exist in my xml. When I looked thru each template provided with the GeoP install, my xml does not match any of the standard formats and templates. Even though it contains a tag that states it is FGDC Standard.

<metstdn>FGDC Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata</metstdn>
    <metstdv>FGDC-STD-001-1998</metstdv>

I had upgraded to the ArcGIS format of metadata prior to validation.

Thanks for any further comments or suggestions.
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the input.  The error message is telling you that the metadata IS MATCHING a template, namely the FGDC template.  The problem is your metadata is not passing the standard validation rules set up for FGDC metadata:
Originator is a required element but is missing from the XPath, /metadata/idinfo/citation/citeinfo/origin

You have two options.  Either correct the metadata by adding in the missing required elements (preferred), or you relax the FGDC validation rules on your Geoportal Server (not recommended if you intend sharing the metadata with other people outside your organization).
0 Kudos
LaurelKish
New Contributor III
Then when I try to Publish to Geop, using the PublishClient with ArcCatalog, do I get this error message??

Publication failed for Database Connections\sdeviewer@gisprod.sde\MCGIS.PublicSafety_EOC\MCGIS.EvacuationZones
Cause : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><ARCXML version="1.1"><RESPONSE><ERROR><![CDATA[Error:Metadata publication failed. Unrecognized metadata schema.]]></ERROR></RESPONSE></ARCXML>

It worked for the first 35 or so metadata records I published and then just came to a screeching halt. Nothing is publishable now.
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
I would pursue taking a detailed look at the metadata in that feature class:  MCGIS.EvacuationZones
0 Kudos