Select to view content in your preferred language

What's new in MapMaker - June 2024

2 weeks ago
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
3 0 127

The June 2024 update to MapMaker brings improvements for working with sketches and sublayers. There are also better notifications if you've made changes you might want to save. And as we regularly update and add data, there are new maps and layers ready for your classroom. Read the whole update in the What's new doc.

Sketches are now a layer

Now when you sketch on a map, you can work with the layer of your sketches like you do your other layers. Change the transparency, swipe them, or turn their visibility on and off. 

Try it out: Add some sketches and look at the Map layers.

sketch_asLayer-80.png

Work directly with layers in a group layer

Sometimes you'll see one layer that has different types of features - like coral bleaching areas and stations. With the latest release, you can work with the areas and stations independently. Only want to swipe or turn off one? Go for it. Need to work with the data table? Now you can.

sublayers_asLayer_table-80.png

Try it out: Open the Coral Bleaching Heat Stress map or Real-time Earthquakes map and you can now access the data table for the coral bleaching areas or the earthquakes.

Don't lose work - better notifications remind you to save

Not sure if you've saved your work? A dot on the Save button now helps you remember. There are also notifications if you close the app with unsaved changes.

saveIndicator-80.png

New and improved maps and data

Check out some new maps - Climate Change Indicators and Köppen-Geiger Climate Classification System. And keep an eye out for some more maps that are coming soon, including Seafloor Crustal Age and Terrestrial Biodiversity.

MapCards-80.png

Fixed issues

We've also fixed some reported issues, including the following:

• When signed in, you can now resave a previously saved map.
  • When searching for maps and layers, subcategories with the same name now filter correctly.
  • Saving screenshots and PDFs now works better.
About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.