Select to view content in your preferred language

Move over peanut butter and jelly... here come computer science and maps

12-10-2021 03:13 PM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
2 0 1,237

There are many parallels between learning computer science and GIS. A team of computer science students at Harvey Mudd College has made an activity, along with supplemental materials, that introduces the two to young learners. We're looking for feedback and how you'd use Vacation Locations with your class.

question-mark-3255140_1920.jpgIn Vacation Locations, students learn about automation, conditionals, looping, and functions as they use a map to choose where to go on vacation. A vacation spot picked, students can continue and apply what they've learned by writing pseudocode to choose a spot for dinner. If interested in doing more computer mapping, they can use a participatory GIS data collection project to share their chosen vacation spots and explore those picked by others.

A teacher guide and a student worksheet (Google Doc or PDF) accompany the activity.

And as always, we'd love your feedback! Share it with us by filling out this survey.

Bye for now — I'm off to the World's Largest Ketchup Bottle!

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.